10 Things That Could Make or Break Your Bank Account in College

College is all about learning and preparing for the future. One of the most important things is learning how to properly budget and save your money. Here are a few of the many ways to save your money and avoid breaking the bank during college. 

1. Make your own coffee don’t buy it.

Starbucks once day adds up quick. Be honest, do you really need that caramel macchiato every day?

2. Rent your textbooks. 

DO NOT buy a book you will only use for four months of your life, you may think you can resell it for full price but trust me, that is not going to happen…

3. Walk or bike to class.

Not only does gas add up fast, but almost all campus parking is like fighting for a laundry machine on a Sunday night, it gets violent and should be avoided at all costs.

4. Try to avoid doing an excessive amount of laundry.

Laundry costs money. So, when you do a load make sure it is full, don’t just wash a pair of pants and a t-shirt because you “feel like it.” Also maybe try buying a laundry rack instead of spending money on the dryer.

5. Never go grocery shopping while you’re hungry.

You may not think this is a big deal, but it can add on about 20 dollars a month that you could be spending on other things (better things).

Courtesy: Pinterest

6. Don’t Uber on Gamedays unless you have to. 

Uber will trick you with their surges. A trip that would normally be $5 any other day will now be something like $15 on Gamedays.

7. Limit the number of times you eat out monthly. 

Yes, cafeteria food sucks but eating at Chick-Fil-a is going to drain your bank account faster than you realize.

8. Don’t buy unnecessary school supplies.

For the most part, everything is done online. Don’t waste money on loose leaf paper when all you need is your laptop.

9. Use student discounts.

This is the best creation known to mankind, use them while you can.

10. Get creative and find fun for free (or at a very low cost).

There are a bunch of free, or low-cost things to do on campus! (For example, Crenshaw Lanes in the Union lets you bowl for only $2. Now that’s called Bang for your Buck!)

Lastly, none of these things will do much if you are not saving your money! Do not make impulsive buys or waste your money on things you don’t need. Be frugal, because you won’t be a broke college student forever!

Carolina born and raised seminole! I am a sophomore dance major at FSU that lives each day in the Lord's name while eating a lot of food. I love photography, fashion, and blogging -Yes I am aware that I am a basic white girl get over it...