When I first entered my freshman year of college, I was completely unprepared for everything that I would experience. During my fall semester, I called my parents about once a day to update them on every single inconvenience that I suffered. Now that I am home again, they have no choice but to listen to my rants and watch me perform all of my TikTok dances.

In the moments when my parents were not available for me to talk to, these ten songs were always there. I listened to them during my morning walks to class, during my crying sessions in my dorm and even during my rare excursions to the gym. If you need to update your music taste during this quarantine, I’ve got you covered.

1. “North$ide” by Destiny Rogers

Favorite Line: If you’re scared, then you can go to church.

Although I only discovered “North$ide” in August, it was my top song on Spotify’s “Your Top Songs 2019.” As I moved into my dorm for the fall semester, I played it on a constant repeat. I truly wish that I knew how to longboard because I feel that this song is perfect for cruising down the street during golden hour.

2. “Ribs” by Lorde

Favorite Line: It feels so scary, getting old.

Whenever I listen to this song, an overwhelming sense of nostalgia overtakes my entire body. It brings me a lot of comfort to know that Lorde feels the exact same way that I do: torn between an intense yearning for your past while constantly bemoaning the future.

3. “No Idea” by Don Toliver

Favorite Line: We on a long road to self-destruction.

Yes, I discovered this song on TikTok. No, I am not ashamed of it. If you haven’t body rolled to this song while pretending that you’re dancing with an imaginary partner, have you ever truly lived?

4. “Gonna Love Me” by Teyana Taylor

Favorite Line: I’m sorry if I made you feel less than who you are.

It genuinely frustrates me to see how many people are completely oblivious to Teyana Taylor’s existence. Listening to her deep, soulful voice, truly makes my heart sing. “Gonna Love Me” tells the story of a couple who have to constantly overcome the good and the bad to truly appreciate their relationship.

5. “Woman” by Harry Styles

Favorite Line: I hope you can see, the shape I’ve been in while he’s touching your skin.

“Woman” is Harry Styles’ best song and there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to convince me otherwise. Go listen to it if you don’t believe me.

A pair of blue headphones held up in front of a yellow background
Alex Gruber

6. “Shine On Top” by Surfaces

Favorite Line: And even if the sun goes down on you, you gotta keep that shine on top.

I have no doubt that Surfaces are on their way to becoming one of America’s top bands of the decade. Their infectious positive energy and beautiful guitar chords quickly found their way into my heart.

7. “Feelings” by Lennon Stella

Favorite Line: Didn’t someone teach you when you leave what you have, you can’t take it back?

Have you ever listened to a song that said all of the words that you were too scared to say aloud? Lennon Stella has a way of expressing my innermost emotions so beautifully. Additionally, this song has a wonderful way of making you feel as though you are living in a music video.

8. “Real Games” by Lucky Daye

Favorite Line: But true, real love is for the fools.

I actually first heard of Lucky Daye from Kianna Naomi, an absolutely wonderful YouTuber that you should watch. Since I love listening to R&B, I definitely recommend “Real Games,” as it always puts my heart at peace.

9. “Fools” by Madison Beer

Favorite Line: Only fools stick around when the love is all gone.

“Fools” details a romantic relationship where one partner constantly obsesses over the other, much to their dismay. I definitely recommend listening to this song with the bass turned all the way up in your car.

10. “I Want You Around” by Snoh Aalegra

Favorite Line: I swear it’s hard to keep these feelings to myself.

Discovering Snoh Allegra was one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my life. When I say that I cannot stop listening to “I Want You Around,” I truly mean it. The calming piano mixed with Snoh’s smooth voice make for an absolutely heavenly experience.

Lighted red background saying you are what you listen to
Mohammad Metri

Although my freshman year of college was equal parts mind-boggling and exhilarating, I do not believe that I would change a single thing about it. Without those moments, I would not be the person that I am today. If you haven’t been able to listen to these songs yet, I strongly recommend that you take time out of your day to do so.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Chai tea and K-Pop are all I need to survive.
Her Campus at Florida State University.