10 Signs You’re an Out-of-State Student

It’s senior year of high school and you’re deciding on where you want to go to college. You might be the type to stay closer to home, or you might be someone like me, who said “I want to go as far away as possible”. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that you don’t LOVE being home, you just wanted to experience something different and out of your comfort zone. I totally get it because that was me. Deciding to come to Florida State all the way from Little Rock, Arkansas was nothing short of a big decision. I feel that at any school, there is something about out-of-state students that makes us more… identifiable? It’s hard to describe, but we just do things a little differently than those in-state folk. So without further ado, here are 10 signs that you’re totally an out-of-state student:

1. You talk about your friends from home A LOT:

Chances are they don’t go to the same school as you, so you make sure to tell all your college friends about how great they are.

2. You get homesick more often because you can’t go home as much:

3. As much as you love a good football rivalry, you just don’t hate the Gators as much as your in-state friends do:

4. You take A LOT of pride in your home state:

5. And you get REALLY excited when you get to go home:

6. And when you go home you’re like a local celebrity:

7. When in-state students tell you what town they’re from, you just nod because you have no idea where that is:

8. People question your clothing choices when the temperature falls below 75 degrees:

9. You get all huffy when people talk about their scholarships from Bright Futures:

10. And finally, when people ask you where you’re from, there’s a 99.9% chance they are going to react like this:

Courtesy: Giphy

Samantha is an Editing, Writing and Media major. She loves a good cup of coffee, a ruby red lip, roadtripping, and being a downright goof. She dreams to travel the world someday and write about all her adventures. But for now, she just really hopes she can just keep balancing everything at once.
Her Campus at Florida State University.