10 Reasons I’m Thankful I Bleed Garnet and Gold

It’s that time of year again, ladies and gentlemen! Our friends from that school in Gainesville pay a visit to Doak Campbell Stadium, not only to (try to) win a football game, but to win bragging rights until next Thanksgiving. Despite the backlash from friends and family, I have never been more grateful to be a Florida State University Seminole, and here are ten reasons why.

1. Noles Have More Fun

Courtesy: wfsu

It’s no question that Tallahassee residents know how to party. No matter what night of the week it is, (even Monday, no judgment) you have plenty of places to choose from. Recess, Derd, Clyde’s, The Strip or even keeping it casual at a house party will keep you entertained—and possibly regretting it the next day. It’s no wonder why Gators flock to Tallahassee every weekend to have some fun…

2. 27-2

Courtesy: Tomahawk Nation

With the reign of our 2012 National Championship team, and current stars like Dalvin Cook and Travis Rudolph, it’s easy to say that we’ve had some good football games the past few years. Unfortunately for the Gators, is hasn’t looked this good since 2008. #ItsOkayUF, I’m pretty sure you guys offer ancient history as a major. 

3. We Love Our Veterans

Courtesy: Collins Flags

The FSU Student Veterans Center is a powerful resource for student veterans. They provide opportunities for research, scholarships, academic support and much more. It’s no wonder why FSU was ranked #11 in the 2017 “Best Colleges for Vets.”

4. Our Campus Is Stunning

Courtesy: Visions of Travel

From the beautiful green grasses of Landis, to the Hogwarts-like architecture of Dodd Hall and the memorable sights on Legacy Walk, Florida State’s campus is a sight to see. While we swing on our hammocks enjoying the beautiful Tallahassee weather, Gators sit in the hot, sticky swamp.

5. We Have the Best Mascot in the Game

Courtesy: Blogspot

Step aside Albert and Alberta (really creative…) because Chief Osceola and Renegade are here. It is quite possibly the best pre-game ritual in college football when Chief throws the flaming spear into the Seminole head while all 82,300 fans do the war chant. Chills.

6. We Love to Celebrate Our Diversity

Courtesy: Power of We FSU

Florida State has been ranked among other top universities as a champion of diversity and inclusion. In the new Power of We campaign, FSU hopes to “pioneer a path for meaningful engagement.” It’s a great time to be a Nole!

7. What We Came to School For – Education

Courtesy: FSU Graduate School

We are constantly being praised for students’ hard work in research and education. The College of Criminology and Criminal Justice is ranked number one in the country for faculty research, the library media program in the School of Information is ranked number one and the interior design graduate program was also voted “Most Admired” by DesignIntelligence. This is just a glimpse of what our students and faculty are up to.

8. The Capital City is Beautiful

Courtesy: Tal Gov

The beauty of nature in Tallahassee is not hard to find. Get some coffee at Lucky Goat while you take a walk around Lake Ella, visit the gorgeous flower displays at Maclay Gardens or enjoy a sunny day at Cascades Park in our beloved downtown. We are also only a 45-minute drive to Thomasville, Georgia, where you can grab some locally grown brunch and pick up some cute gifts at the various boutiques. The Capital City clearly outshines our swampy neighbors down south.

9. Our Alumni > UF’s Alumni

Courtesy: Heavy

Whether you’re looking for professional sports players, up-and-coming business creators or scientists discovering something new every day, FSU alumni are always achieving great things. Some of the most outstanding NFL players graced the turf at Doak, including Jameis Winston, Devonta Freeman and Kelvin Benjamin. But hey Gators, let me know how Tim Tebow’s minor league baseball career is going!

10. Orange and Blue Just Don’t Go Together

Courtesy: Flickr

It’s just something that needs to be said. Orange and Blue go together like peanut butter and mustard; it’s just not right. Luckily for us, we can post our cute gameday outfits all over social media without worrying about making a fashion faux pas. 

#BleedGarnetAndHaveAHeartOfGold

All joking aside, UF is like our little sibling we love to fight with, but at the end of the day, we still love them. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, let’s be thankful for our great football rivalry that has existed since 1958. But most importantly, GO NOLES!

Heather is a senior at Florida State University studying editing, writing, and media with a minor in communications. In the future, she hopes to work in the world of public relations, possibly focusing on the sports industry.
Alex is native to Miami, Florida but currently resides in Tallahassee. She's a Senior at Florida State double majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Media Communications.