10 Last Minute DIY Halloween Costumes On A Collegiette Budget

Alright Collegiettes, the night of witches and ghosts is approaching. If you just realized Halloween is a couple of days away and you’re finding yourself up against the wall not knowing what to dress up as, no worries… we are here to help! Wearing last year’s costume is out of the question and let’s face it, paying over $60 for a costume you’re going to wear for a couple of hours sounds less than ideal.

As college students, we not only have to save money, but we also have to find creative ways of pulling an amazing outfit together that will send all the single werewolves howling on Halloween night.

It’s time to browse your closets Collegiettes and gather up your arts and crafts skills! Here are some fun costumes you can make at home!

Fun Little Piñata: Are you feeling festive and crafty? Grab an old tank dress, a hot glue gun, and lots of colorful rolls of streamers. The streamers can easily be found at any party store. If you want to get real fancy and creative, pick up a wooden stick to decorate and a party hat too. To decorate the dress, cut the streamers into 4 inch long strips. Using a small dot of glue on each strip, stick it on the dress. Use a different color for each row!  Start from the bottom and think of it as a flapper dress as you work your way up. For a tail, you can tie a bunch of the long colored streamers into a knot and pin it to your dress at the back. Now just decorate your hat and stick it with the rest of your streamers and pair your outfit up with a bright color wedge!

Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Are you feeling a little classic and fancy? This DIY costume is for you. Go browse your closet, or got to a local party store or dollar store and pick up a little tiara, jewels, pearls, long black gloves, and black sunglasses. Get a stick and paint it black and white at the very tip. Put your hair in a high sock bun and put your outfit together with a black corset, black tutu, and black heels! 

Energizer Bunny Style: Are you feeling a little spunky and in need of a cute outfit? Be a little Energizer bunny this Halloween night! Get some blue sandals, pink tights, pink shorts, and pink tank top! You can even mix it up by wearing a pink tutu. Get a big cotton ball for your tail, bunny ears, a toy drum, and big sticks that you can make into drum sticks from a local party or dollar store. Decorate the drum by adding some special decorations (to make it look like the bunny’s drum) and print out an Energizer logo to paste on the sides. Pull everything together by wearing a pair of black sunglasses and bunny whiskers!

Superman Clark Kent (Woman Version): Are you feeling independent and love superheroes, but don’t find yourself wanting to dress up as bat girl? Be superman my Collegiettes! Find a superman shirt you have lying around (or print out a logo and paste it to a blue shirt). Get a fedora, a white button down dress shirt, black slacks, a grey tie, black pumps, and some glasses to put everything together.

Regina George from Mean Girls: Do you still find yourself quoting Mean Girls even after all these years? Be Regina George this Halloween! Pull a simple outfit together and pair it with a vibrant bra underneath a white shirt that has two holes cut out!

Sandy from Grease: Are you feeling a little sassy and classy? Be Sandy! This costume can easily be put together with a few essential things in your closet. A pair of leggings that have that leather shimmer, a wide belt, a black off the shoulder shirt (don’t have one? Cut a regular shirt!), and a pair of red heels/wedges. Curl up your hair and you’re ready to go!

Sugar Skulls from Day of the Dead: Feeling creative and spontaneous? Put your creative skills to good use. Stop by a craft store and buy a bunch of big colored fake flowers. Get a hot glue gun and glue a bunch of flowers on a plain headband. Get an old bra/crop top and decorate it with flowers, ribbons, and lace! Be creative! Put your costume together by wearing a high-waisted skirt and painting your face in traditional sugar skull makeup (look online for ideas).

Hipster Disney Princess: Do you feel edgy and fashionable, but you still love Disney? Make a Disney hipster outfit for your favorite princess. Look online for inspiration and you can even make a sign to carry around such as: “I had an apple before Steve Jobs” or “I left the ocean because it was too current.” Remember to wear some glasses to pull this look together. 

Skeleton: Are you feeling the Halloween spirit and have amazing makeup skills? Grab a black and white outfit and paint your face like a creepy skeleton. Pair your outfit with a headband, tutu, leggings, or whatever you feel will pull the look you want together.

Indian/Native American: Alright Seminoles! Are you feeling spirited this Halloween? Represent your school spirit by creating your very own Indian costume this Halloween. This costume can take all types of turns. You can actually make a costume with cloth, beads, scissors, and feathers; or you can simply find a cute tan or brown dress and create your very own headdress with feathers and beads. Put some beaded jewelry on, some sandals on, and you’re ready to go!

All ideas and photos were found using Pinterest!

Amanda loves to write creatively on her spare time. When she isn't studying for her double major in both Psychology and Editing, Writing, and Media, Amanda is in the kitchen cooking up some dinner or baking sweet treats. She is a kid at heart and will never be too old for anything Disney. Amanda aspires to become a producer and writer for future video games.
Her Campus at Florida State University.