10 Disney Channel Original Movies That Remind Me of My Childhood

Disney Channel is something that we all grew up watching and loving. Thankfully, it has become easier, especially with the recent release of the streaming platform Disney+ to go back and access the series and films that we cherished so much as children. Something that Disney is notorious for is their plethora of Disney Channel Original Movies. With the first release dating back to 1997 with the film Northern Lights, the Disney Channel Original Movies have become some of Disney’s most iconic films up to date, even giving some other Disney classics a run for their money. Because icons always deserve recognition, I’ve decided to share, in no particular order, my top 10 Disney Channel Original Movies that take me back to my childhood. 

disney+ on an iphone
Photo by Kon Karampelas on Unsplash

1. The Color of Friendship

I’m going to begin the list with this film because it’s the definition of timeless. Although released over 20 years ago, this movie can still be applied to so much going on in our world today. Something I loved so much about the older Disney Channel Original Movies is how they all had a focal lesson that they tried to teach with their films. This one in particular not only just ends up being such a cute film, but it emphasizes the ideas of racism and tolerance, which was prominent at the time, and still is today. Even as a child, this movie somehow genuinely had me thinking and made me curious and even more aware. 

2. Smart House

This movie was so ahead of its time it’s insane. I have so many vivid memories of my older brother and I watching this film and thinking it was so incredibly cool, almost impossible to believe it could ever be real. However, here we are two decades later and the most mind-blowing part of it now is that the concept of this film sort of exists today with Google Home and Alexa devices. I wish I could go back and tell younger me that she’d basically be experiencing the same thing when she grew up!

3. The Cheetah Girls Trilogy

Let’s be real, I feel like we all had a phase with this one. It was almost impossible not to. I remember BEGGING my mom to buy me all and everything cheetah print so I could feel like a cheetah girl myself. These movies quite honestly have to have contributed to shaping me into who I am today. The strong message of girl power and standing your ground was so important to teach young girls and I’m glad that I had that experience myself through these movies and their music. 

4. Cadet Kelly 

This was when Hilary Duff ran Disney. Every single movie and TV show she was part of always popped off. As a child, it was cool to see “Lizzie McGuire” playing such a different role as a commandant at military school. It’s definitely one of those movies where now looking back, I can see how I grew alongside Hilary Duff and watched her progress as an actress on Disney Channel and playing more mature roles. 

5. The Zenon Trilogy

I feel like I don’t even have to really explain this one. These movies were the biggest vibe ever and I wanted nothing more but to be Zenon myself. Like, living in space? How cool is that? The futuristic theme of these movies would always remind me of Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom every time I would go and they still do. No matter how long it’s been since I’ve watched these films, I can proudly say if I had the chance today, I would totally live a life in space how Zenon did. 

6. The High School Musical Trilogy

It would be a crime if I didn’t include these in this list. These movies are still just as good as they were when they first came out and they probably always will be. From the actors to the music to the dancing, amazing. I was also hardcore committed to this series. I would stay up and set alarms for showings of the movies or when Kenny Ortega would teach the dances from the films during commercial breaks. In addition to that, these films were the seed to planting my love for Zac Efron which I will forever appreciate. 

7. Camp Rock

When Camp Rock came out, Disney Channel was in its prime time. It was when The Jonas Brothers first started blowing up as well as Demi Lovato and so many others. This movie was the beginning of an era that led to so many successful careers that are equally as successful today. This era was an impactful part of my childhood because it was when I was old enough to start developing my music taste and attending concerts for these people. They’ll be imprinted in my mind as some of my musical “firsts.” 

8. Princess Protection Program

Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez were huge at this point. So, seeing them both playing the main roles in a film was a treat for us back then. Not only that, but I had grown up watching both of them act together on Barney so it was cool to see them sharing a screen together again but so much older. 

9. Gotta Kick It Up!

This film is an oldie but a goodie. Personally, as a Latina, this movie was one of the first ones I saw as a kid on Disney Channel that resonated with me and my culture. Seeing how motivated these girls were in the film and how they would speak Spanish at some points would inspire me as well because that’s what I had known as well. It’s one of the first few forms of media I was exposed to that felt comfortable to me.

10. The Thirteenth Year

Last but certainly not least on this list is The Thirteenth Year. This movie was something different. But in a good way. Growing up, like any other little girl, I LOVED mermaids. However, this movie was the first one I ever saw where there was a merman involved instead of a mermaid. Suddenly once I had seen this movie, I completely forgot about the idea of having a prince charming and instead dreamed of finding a merman to love for the rest of my life. But that dream is obviously over now that I’m in my twenties.

….Or is it?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Alexia is double-majoring at Florida State University in Sociology and Media/Communications Studies. She holds a strong love for reading, writing, music and enjoys going to the beach back at home in Fort Lauderdale. When she’s not busy catching up with work or school, you can usually catch her hanging out with her puppy, Ginger or at Happy Hour on Friday with her besties.
Her Campus at Florida State University.