Style > Beauty

10 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You Need in Your Life

As a black woman, I have grown accustomed to walking to the back of the beauty section in every store to find products made for my hair texture and skin tone, but even then, there are only so few options. Finding products that are made specifically for you is important, and luckily these black-owned beauty brands are creating products that get the job done!

Makeup Brands

Image Courtesy: Giphy

1. Fenty Beauty

Image Courtesy: Sephora

Created by singer, fashion icon and now makeup mogul Rihanna, Fenty Beauty is a brand that is creating products made for everyone, every shade. With the success of its lightweight formula, highlighters and popping glosses made for all skin types and tones, fans flocked to the brand for the hype and stayed for the Body Lava. 

2. Juvia’s Place

Image Courtesy: Pikby

With products and packaging inspired by African culture, Juvia’s Place is a brand that creates makeup that can’t go unnoticed. The shades and product names all showcase the eminent beauty in women and the incredible pigmentation in every palette makes it possible to demonstrate that.

3. Pat McGrath Labs

Image Courtesy: Los Angeles Times

Pat McGrath, the most influential makeup artist in the world as described by Vogue, founded this revolutionary makeup line. After years of perfecting makeup looks in the fashion world, McGrath curated her own collection of beautiful lipsticks, eye shadow palettes and eyeliners that give you the power to create as well.

4. Iman Cosmetics

Image Courtesy: Link to Beauty

This makeup brand created by fashion model Iman can be found at drugstores across the country. With a price tag your wallet will approve of, you can purchase makeup that is made for you and finding the perfect shade is a breeze with its matching technology.

Hair Brands

Image Courtesy: Giphy

5. Form Beauty

Image Courtesy: Black Enterprise

With the lack of availability for successful hair products, Tristan Walker created these high-quality products to help women of color treat and revitalize the natural texture of their hair.

6. Eden Bodyworks

Image Courtesy: Twitter

Eden Bodyworks creates natural products inspired by nature made to restore one’s original hair design. These products will be loved by your hair and your wallet!

7. Girl and Hair

Image Courtesy: Girl and Hair

Looking for a product to help treat and grow your hair after the big chop? Look no further, as the first natural hair care line made to promote healthy scalp and hair under all protective styles can be found at any Target store.

Skincare Brands

Image Courtesy: Giphy

8. Foxie Cosmetics

Image Courtesy: Foxie Cosmetics

These vegan hand-crafted products have been recommended in three issues of Vogue because of their ability to hydrate and soothe your skin. Not only are these products great for your skin, but they’re also great for an aesthetically pleasing Insta!

9. Pholk Beauty

Image Courtesy: Brit and Co

Inspired by folk beauty rituals across the African Diaspora, these natural vegan affordable skincare products are created by women of color for women of color. There are products made to combat common issues black women face including dark spots, oily skin and ingrown hairs.

10. KNC Beauty

Image Courtesy: Fashionista

This brand gained a huge following on Instagram with their aesthetically and successfully pleasing lip masks. These gel sheet masks are specially formulated for plumping, hydrating, moisturizing and conditioning the sensitive skin on your lips.

Tyra Joseph is a graduate of Florida State University with a dual degree in Editing, Writing & Media, and Digital Media Production with minors in Information Technology and Film Studies. She began as a Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU in August 2018 and then served as a Content Editor in her final two semesters as a Nole!
Her Campus at Florida State University.