10 Apps Every FSU Student Needs

In this generation, innovative gadgets are all the rage, especially on a college campus. With these gadgets comes the downloading of mobile applications at a rapid rate, with most being used for recreational or entertainment purposes. While we are all guilty of doing so, there are particular applications we as students of the Florida State University may not be aware of and should be using to our advantage. Below are 10 free, must-download apps for FSU students.

Courtesy: http://its.fsu.edu

1. myFSU

Available for download on Apple and Android devices, this is the official mobile app of the Florida State University. Gain convenient access to campus news, a mobile version of Blackboard, dining locations and hours, a directory of FSU faculty and more, free of charge. This app also includes a resourceful map where students can search for on campus buildings, view his or her relative location and calculate walking time from his or her current location.

2. FSU Tranz

This free parking app shows how many spaces are available in each of our six on-campus parking garages using a bar graph. View this from the comfort of your home and avoid driving in circles in search of a spot, only to realize you probably won’t find one and may have just missed your entire class. This app displays whether the parking garages are half, three quarters or completely full. Unsure as to where the garages are located? This app also includes a map with each garage labeled.

3. Blackboard Mobile Learn

Have you ever wanted to check your grades on the go but didn’t feel like using an internet browser to do so? Blackboard Mobile Learn allows students and instructors to gain instant access to classes directly from a mobile device. Students can view announcements, check grades, participate in discussion boards and receive push notifications of course activity. This app can be downloaded from Apple, Android, BlackBerry and Palm app stores, gratis.

4. Transloc

Tired of waiting at the bus stop wondering if it will ever arrive? This app has got you covered! With its free, real-time vehicle tracking capabilities, students can view seven on and off campus bus routes with a large map display, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. On this map, students can view where the bus is and approximately when it will arrive. This app also provides announcements regarding service interruptions and its famous Nite Nole route, which runs from 10:30 p.m. to 3 a.m. Select FSU upon downloading and enjoy a safe ride!

5. Spear It Rewards

Looking to watch FSU beat University of Miami or University of Florida in football? Start racking up those points! Earn points by checking into events or connecting to various social media accounts via this Android and Apple friendly app. Redeem your points for prizes in the prize store and enter to win items such as a Nike pullover or a North Face backpack.

6. Hooked Deals

Can’t decide what to eat? Hooked can help you deal with that. Discover exclusive, real-time specials from restaurants near the Florida State University. Once you find a deal that you can’t resist, hurry to the restaurant as deals typically last one to three hours. Show the cashier ‘You Got Hooked’ and enjoy your meal! You definitely won’t mind planning your day around this.

7. Pocket Points

For those who need to be incentivized to keep a mobile device out of sight during class, this is the app for you. Simply open the application on campus, lock your phone and begin gaining points. Trade these points in for rewards in the form of discounts to restaurants and local and online businesses. Participating businesses in Tallahassee include but are not limited to: Reef Boutique, the FSU bookstore, Sperry, Muscle Maker Grill, Pita Pit and Dominos. Tune in for ‘Double-Point Tuesday,’ and earn double the amount of points during the time period in which your phone is locked.

8. Party Tutor

Explore specials and deals for nearby restaurants, apartments, bars and local businesses around campus with this free, easy-to-use app.

9. FSU Guardian

This is a free, personal safety service valid to currently enrolled FSU students that rapidly provides information about an individual to FSUPD during an emergency. After building a profile, students can set a safety timer when heading to an unfamiliar location, meeting someone he or she does not know or any other situation in which he or she would like someone to check in. If your timer has expired and your Guardians see you have not yet arrived, they will be notified, so be sure to deactivate it once you are safe.

10. Insomnia Cookies

There’s no better way to fill cravings than with rewards, especially when it’s done through our mobile devices. Order for pick-up or delivery until 3 a.m. and start earning loyalty points today. Lucky for us, Insomnia Cookies is adjacent to campus, located on 1525 W Tennessee St.

Jordana is a recent graduate of The Florida State University with a Bachelor of Science in public relations. She aspires to work in public relations and digital media in New York City. She is well-versed in pop culture, social media management, press release writing and content creation. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, Jordana enjoys writing, networking and spending time outdoors. On most days, you can find her researching industry trends, Tweeting and scavenging the internet for new music, ODESZA and Beyonce tunes to be specific. Stay in tune with her daily whereabouts via Twitter: @JordanaJudson.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.