Holding Phone with Amazon
Holding Phone with Amazon
Photo by Claire Kraft

10 Amazon Must-Haves To Survive Your Freshman Year

One of the many stressors I went through during the first couple weeks of my freshman year was not having everything I needed. Let’s just say there were many facetime calls made to my mom that solved many issues. Another example of something that solved many of my issues is Amazon. Receiving the email that I had a package to pick up was truly amazing. Many of these packages were items I cannot believe I forgot or didn’t even think about before moving into my dorm.

To help you not make the same mistake, I have made the ultimate list of Amazon items that made my freshman year go a lot smoother.

1. Adhesive Card Holder for Phone or Small Wallet

This became an absolute necessity. Especially because I lived in a dorm on campus and I needed my student ID to access the building. Standing outside rummaging through my bookbag was not an option, and it’s annoying after a long day of class.

You can find a stick-on cardholder here and a small wallet here.

2. Robe or Snap Towel

woman applying skin care
Photo by Sora Shimazaki from Pexels

Wow. I cannot stress this enough. Whether you are using a communal bathroom or sharing a bathroom between two rooms, a robe is vital.

You can find a robe here and a snap towel here.

3. First Aid or Medicine Kit

Okay, don’t make fun of me, but this was my saving grace during freshman year. My roommates can attest to me saying that I used more band-aids and decongestant than I have ever used before. During the first few weeks of the semester, the flu/cold bug rolls around and hits everyone in the face, so it is nice to have what you need in a little box.

You can find a first aid kit here and a medicine kit here. I also bought a two-in-one tackle box (embarrassing) here.

4. Cute Planner

Writing in Planner
Photo by STIL from Unsplash

I love to write down and keep track of all of my to-dos. Without my planner, I think I would have forgotten my online classes. Plus, they can be really cute and come in different sizes.

Here is the brand I used to buy my planners from. It is a women-run business! Happy National Women’s Month!

5. Brita Water bottle

I was not aware of the memo to buy these when I came to college. Luckily, I already had one when I traveled internationally! These are very helpful if you don’t have room for an actual Brita and when you’re refilling your bottle from class to class.

You can find this water bottle here.

6. Mesh Shower Caddy

Sharing a bathroom is very cramped in the dorms and comes with little storage inside the shower for products. I recommend the mesh shower caddies for an easier clean in the washing machine and easy travel. These can be used throughout college when sharing a bathroom with other people.

Here is an example of a mesh shower caddy.

7. Back of the Door Shoe Storage and Bedside Storage

Once again, the dorm rooms are very cramped. You may think you don’t have a lot of stuff until you can’t close your closet door. A hanging shoe organizer saves a ton of space and will be used for a long time before you get that walk-in closet of your dreams.

Another thing that is rarely mentioned is how tall the dorm bed can be. A bedside organizer makes it so easy to store your Chapstick, headphones and phone, so you don’t have to climb out of bed.

You can find a back-of-the-door shoe rack here and a bedside storage/organizer here.

8. Desk Lamp

Desk lamp with plant
Photo by Tatiana Lapina from Unsplash

I did not even think twice about bringing a lamp to college. There is only one overhead light in the dorm rooms. Because of this, it makes it difficult to see when it’s dark while not disturbing your sleeping roommates. They’re also super useful when you’re up late doing homework!

You can find a cute desk lamp here.

9. Extension Cord

I wasn’t able to plug in my phone close to my bed and my fan at the same time without an extension cord. There aren’t many outlets so I would definitely consider bringing one with you that is safe and able to be used with multiple items.

Here is a pretty extension cord.

10. Putty or Command Hooks

The walls are incredibly blank and boring when you first arrive. To make it feel more like home, hang up some pictures of your pets and favorite singers to spruce it up a bit. Both of these items have easy clean-up once it’s time to take everything down.

You can find the wall putty here and command hooks here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Claire is a sophomore studying Media/Communication Studies at Florida State University. When she isn't working for FSU Coaches Video, she's having movie marathons, baking until one a.m. and aggressively cheering for Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey.
Her Campus at Florida State University.