etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Worst Things About Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

There are a lot of people out there who can’t stand the heat and spend all summer waiting for their favorite time of the year: Winter. I am not one of those people. While I am someone who always seems to be hot, no matter what time of year it is, when I’m cold, I hate it. I don’t like cold weather or snow, which is why it makes sense for me to hate winter. I will never understand those people who love winter. Here are some things I hate most about winter.

Cleaning snow off your car

I understand not everyone has a car, so this may not bother some people. But for people who do, like myself, it isn’t fun. It requires you to get up even earlier the morning after a snow fall so you have time to clean the snow off your car. Worse, if you didn’t even know it was supposed to snow, this can make you late for class or work. Also, it requires you to be outside in the cold for more than 10 minutes, which is a big no from me. 

Dry skin

This might seem kind of gross, but let’s be honest, it happens to most of us. In the cold weather my skin gets so dry that it almost doesn’t matter how much lotion I put on. I hate the feeling of dry skin, and it’s even worse when the cold air makes my already dry hands crack and bleed.

The quick transition from cold to hot

When I do have to go outside in winter, I usually bundle up in a coat, boots, warm socks, and a hat, but the problem with that is the second I reach my destination, which is usually heated, I start sweating immediately in all those layers. Because of this, I don’t like to wear sweaters or sweatshirts of any kind in the winter because even though they keep me warm outside, I know as soon as I get inside, I will be overheating.

Driving in the snow

Similarly to cleaning your car off, not everyone has to deal with this. But I’ve had some bad experiences in the past with a car that doesn’t do well in snow, and even though now I have an SUV with 4-wheel drive, I still get very anxious when I have to drive in the snow. I don’t really enjoy driving to begin with, so adding slippery, slush-covered roads and falling snow to that equation doesn’t help.

There are probably a lot more things I hate about winter, but these are the ones that come to mind. Here’s to hoping the groundhog was right in predicting an early spring, because I am ready for summer. 

Victoria Bailey

Framingham '20

vice president & senior editor of Her Campus Framingham