jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Think of College So Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

College is not what I thought it was going to be at all.  I thought I would get here and make lots of new friends and go to parties every weekend.  I have made new friends but not a lot, and I haven’t been to a single party.  In high school I was always an outsider.  The friends that I did have did not go to my school, so during my school days I was pretty lonely.  I longed for a change and I thought college would be just what I was wishing for.  Now that I’m here and it has been about two months I have realized I am still socially the same as I was in high school.  It’s not a totally bad thing; I enjoy being with the friends I have and I am doing well in my classes, but I still feel like I am missing out on a lot of what college is supposed to be like.  

College has had it’s ups and downs already.  Some days all I want to do is drop out and go home.  Others, I feel like I wouldn’t want my life going any other way.  College is nothing like high school, which for me is a great thing, but I still feel like I’m on the outside.  I want to get out of my comfort zone and try new things and meet new people.  I am surrounded by strangers and potential friends but I am too scared to talk to anyone I don’t already know.  I feel like everyone has already found their group and I am just too late.  

My advice to anyone who feels like they are in the same boat as me is to go to that party that you don’t think you will get into, it can’t hurt to try.  Go talk to those people sitting in the dining hall; you never know what they are going to say.  College is a fresh start and don’t let your fears get in the way.  I hope that by the end of my freshman year I will have attended a party and I will have lots of new friends and exciting stories, but for now I’m just gonna keep on trying.  

Adriana Vaughan

Framingham '22

I'm in love with makeup and dogs.