Tieks: The Most Comfortable Ballet Flat or a High Price to Pay for Fashion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been trying to find a comfortable pair of flats. When you try them on in the store, they feel great. The first few hours of your day wearing them are okay, but suddenly you pass that moment where they go from “these are okay, I can deal with this,” to “I need to take these off immediately, these blisters are killing me.”

Last year as I was scrolling through Pinterest, I came across Tieks. Handmade from Italian leather, Tieks claim that they are “the ballet flat, reinvented.” They feature a split sole and flexible midsole able to mold to your foot and flex as you walk. The split sole also makes them super convenient; you can fold up a pair and easily tuck them into your bag for a quick shoe change midday or to make packing for a trip much easier. Unlike most ballet flats that are either elastic or a harder material to keep their shape, the back of Tieks flats are cushioned to reduce any strain on the back of your heels, and the soles are comprised of a foam cushioning making them comfortable enough to wear all day.

After reading one positive review after another, I decided I needed to have a pair. There was only one thing holding me back: the price tag. At $175 a pair, Tieks are by no means cheap. The company justifies the price with the craftsmanship and quality of materials that goes into each pair, but it is still a huge price to pay for a pair of ballet flats. However, for one of my better decisions, I decided to treat myself.

After forcing myself to finally go through with my decision, I eagerly awaited the arrival of my matte black Tieks. I chose a color I knew I could wear often to get my money’s worth. Thankfully I did not have to wait long; my Tieks were at my door in about a week. I’ll admit, I tried them on and was immediately disappointed. The heel of one shoe had a bump in the leather than would have made then uncomfortable to wear more than a few minutes.

On the bright side, Tieks offers free returns and exchanges and the process could not have been easier. After logging onto the website to explain my situation, I was sent a brand new pair of matte black Tieks free of charge. After their arrival, I was given a few weeks with both pairs to decide whether I was going to keep the old or the new, and I was provided with a prepaid shipping label to return the other pair.

My second pair could not have fit more perfectly and I was so glad that the high expense was now worth it. Since receiving the second pair, I’ve fallen in love with Tieks and can’t help looking at their website often to decide which colors I should buy next. They are just as comfortable as they claim, and I have worked full 8-hour shifts at my retail job and internship without any pain at all. Besides comfort, the ability to store them in your bag is also a huge bonus that I have taken advantage of. With how cold my feet are at all times, I never would have thought that I would be wearing flats in the winter. Being able to stash them in my bag and wear my Bean Boots in to work, but switch into cuter, less clunky shoes that actually go with my outfit. I’ve worn them to run errands, for a full day of classes, and even a Thursday night out, though that last one was an accident and I don’t plan to wear them somewhere with the possibility of beer being spilled on them again. I love them too much to do that to them.

If you’ve been looking for comfortable flats, do your feet a favor and look into Tieks. The price tag is high but they are absolutely worth every penny. If your career plans include professional outfits or being on your feet all day, they are a great way to stay comfortable and cute. Or if you just love shoes and want a high quality pair of very versatile shoes, treat yourself.

More commonly known as Katy, I am a senior marketing major at Framingham State University. I enjoy long walks to the dessert section of the dining commons, reading into The Wonder Years lyrics, and adding to my growing collection of All Time Low t-shirts (the current count is 26). If you need me, I'm probably napping.