This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Do you love social networking sites? We all do! It is a great way to communicate and stay connected with close friends and family, along with meeting new people based on interests and passions. Social media is definitely a great platform to educate ourselves on new ideas, the latest trends, and what products people are loving. However, there are definitely down sides to social media sites. 

For example, constant browsing results in social comparison, as well as decrease in self esteem. It can be hard to stop yourself from endless scrolling, especially on Instagram and Pinterest. If you are not familiar with Pinterest, it is a blog type social networking site in which users create different boards and are able to “pin” different posts to the correlating board.

Although Pinterest is super fun and knowledgeable in so many areas such as cooking, fitness, makeup etc., I have found there are many negatives relating to self esteem and body image. Often times, we are only seeing what society believes to be “ideal” or “pretty”. Images on Pinterest definitely promote a certain body type and physical appearance. It can be exhausting looking at hundreds of fitness models daily. Therefore, I think it is important to give ourselves a break from social media. Although it is hard, it may be helpful to delete one of your social media apps for even a day. I have done this and found that I am much happier and am able to really live in the moment!

Lauren Kimura

Framingham '21

My name is Lauren Kimura and I am currently a sophomore at Framingham State University. I am a Fashion Design and Retail Major with a minor in Business. I love fashion, beauty, and healthy living. I love to write and work in groups. I am very organized, hardworking, and caring.