This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

I think we all have spent time scrolling through Pinterest, looking for outfit inspiration on days when we just can’t figure out what to wear. A lot of us struggle with trying to figure out what our sense of style is. I know personally I get sick of my clothes all the time, but I don’t have the funds, time, or closet space in my dorm to pick out a bunch of new items at the mall. People can get a taste of what you’re like as a person just by looking at your outfit. So, I did some research, and I have found out some simple ways that can help improve your style.  

1) Accessorize! 

This may seem like an obvious tip, but accessorizing can go a long way if you’re trying to make an otherwise plain outfit stand out. You can layer your necklaces. For example, if you’re wearing a choker, you can also put on a longer necklace. I like to get a lot of my jewelry from Brandy Melville because they have so many different pieces that are perfect for layering. I have this star choker from there that I wear almost every day. I use it to layer with my other necklaces.  

I don’t believe there’s any such thing as too much jewelry. You can wear necklaces, earrings, rings, etc. all at the same time and it makes your outfit look more put together. Jewelry is relatively less expensive than buying other things, but even if you don’t have a ton of jewelry you can wear the same pieces repeatedly. This is a perfect hack if you don’t have time in the morning because even if you are wearing a plain shirt and jeans, it looks like you took longer to get ready.  

Adding a belt to your outfit can add some extra detail to your outfit. I like to wear different colored belts, like a pink or white one if I’m wearing some ripped jeans and a plain sweater or sweatshirt. Black belts can work well for this too, and I have seen black chunky belts become more of a trend lately. Scarves and hats work well with a plethora of different outfits, especially when it’s cold outside and you want to be more bundled up.  

2) Layering! 

Everyone has layered before but using different layering techniques can add to an outfit. Sometimes this can be a bit harder because you don’t want your outfit to look too lumpy. I’ve seen a lot of people wear a tee-shirt over a long-sleeve recently and this looks super cute and more put together than if you were just going to wear one or the other. However, the long sleeve must be tighter than the tee-shirt on top, or else it may look baggy. I recommend the tee shirt be a bit oversized because that will look nice over a tighter shirt.  

Here are some examples, however, the one on the left looks the best to me because the long-sleeve underneath is tighter, and the tops aren’t the same color, so it contrasts better than the middle picture. The one on the right is still cute, but it would look better if the shirt underneath wasn’t oversized.  

Adding a jean jacket to your outfit makes a look more interesting. Jean jackets are plain enough that they go with almost everything. This works with cardigans as well, depending on the color. These can keep you warm and stylish on a cooler day.

3) Oversized! 

The VSCO girls did something right here. I’m not sure what inspired oversized clothing to become a trend, but when it is done right it can look very nice. In the summer, an oversized tee shirt with a pair of jean shorts looks cute. However, since we’re nearing winter now, you can wear oversized sweaters anyway you want.  

Sometimes these seem even nicer when they’re tucked in or tied at the ends if they’re a bit on the longer side. You can wear oversized sweatshirts as well, but if you want to dress up a little bit more with these it’s important to accessorize as I explained in the first step. This will bring your look together and keep you feeling comfortable all day! 

4) Thrifting!  

If you are struggling with money but are sick of your wardrobe, thrifting is always an option. I personally haven’t gone thrifting a lot, but now that I’m taking a lot of fashion classes and learning about how terrible fast fashion ethics are, I’m starting to become more conscious of where I shop. Thrifting is better for the environment, costs way less, and has a ton of different clothing options to choose from. I still love to shop from the mall from time to time as I mentioned earlier I like a few pieces from Brandy Melville, but I am aware that sustainability is becoming more important in our rapidly changing environment. In that case, we all need to start thrifting more. 

When you go thrifting, I suggest trying to pin a couple outfit ideas because it can be very overwhelming to go there without having an idea of what you want in mind. You can recreate these pieces with what you find and put together some very nice outfits. It’s a great way to come up with a new style for yourself, if you’re really looking for a fresh start.  

5) Going Out of Your Comfort Zone! 

Trying out new clothing and accessories can help you figure out what things you like. It may be hard to do this at first but wearing clothing you don’t typically wear can be freeing and expand your taste. This is where thrift stores really come in handy, because they have a range of different products that work for different styles, and they are inexpensive, so you aren’t spending too much to look good. It can also boost your self-confidence! 

Eva DeSousa

Framingham '23

I'm a fashion major and I love reading and spending time with friends.