The Registration Struggle: Underclassmen Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Happy registration week! And may the odds be ever in your favor. Somehow the semester has just flown by and it’s time to choose or, if you’re an underclassmen, settle with, the classes you’ll be taking next fall. It can be a difficult time but here are a few tips to keep you from getting too overwhelmed.

1. Create several potential schedules

It can be a real balancing act when you’re trying to schedule your classes trying to keep in mind things like the fact that you feel like this at 8:30 am.

Or other things such as work or sports. And while these are all important factors when it comes to creating your schedule, also remember that as an underclassmen you might not get into all of your first choice classes so make sure you keep your options open. This would be a good time to knock off some gen. eds. So make at least three potential schedules that work for you.

2. Make sure you have your pin and CRN’s ready to go

These numbers are essential to signing up for classes, so make sure you have them all organized in the same place so you’re not scrambling around at 4:59pm on Sunday trying to find the tiny piece of paper your advisor gave you.

Having both your pin and the Course Registration Numbers for all your first choice classes will make it easier for you to put those in immediately and better your chances of getting into the classes you want if they already have a limited amount of seats. It’s also a good idea to have the CRN’s of your second and third choices so you can have them ready as backups.

3. Make sure you have good wifi

Registration weekend is probably as good a time as any to go home and take advantage of the good wifi, or anywhere else the wifi is a little faster. The wifi crashes enough as it is but with so many people logged on at once, both the wifi and the myFramingham website are going to be much slower. So close all your other tabs and get a stable connection.

4. Get on the website early

Although registration doesn’t open until 5:00pm on the dot, it’s still a good idea to be on the myframingham website at least 10 minutes before that so you don’t lose time trying to get logged in. To avoid being logged off, just keep the page active and click on random things until 5 o’clock.

5. Copy and Paste is your friend

To make things even easier on yourself, have a word document with your pin and CRN’s on one side of your screen, and the registration page on the other, that way you can copy and paste them right over and get all the numbers submitted as fast as possible 

Don’t beat yourself up if you can’t get into all the classes that you want, you’ll still have plenty of time to complete your requirements.

Freshman Chemistry major at Framingham State. Fluent in English, Spanish, French and Sarcasm.
Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.