This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Sleepovers, lunch dates, and constant laughter. You’re dating your best friend. He’s always been there for you, and you can’t imagine it being any other way.

I met my boyfriend a little over two years ago while working at a grocery store. Since then, we have been absolutely inseparable. We chose to go to the same college and have grown so close during this time. I’ve noticed that other couples often get this way if they’re always together and figured I’d tackle some common pros and cons of dating your best friend during this Valentine’s Day season.

Pros 

There’s nothing you can’t share with them 

From your deepest secret, to the nasty thing you saw on the subway, they’re going to hear about it. The best part is, they’re genuinely interested in what you’re saying. Other people might tune out or lose interest, but your bf wants to know about that triple decker sandwich you ate today. 

They always know how to make you laugh 

This is probably the best thing about dating your best friend. Whether you’re sad or aching for a Mel B. belly laugh, he’s going to provide giggle-worthy material. 

Everything is an adventure when you’re with them 

My favorite tote bag says “spend time with people who make going to the grocery store an adventure.” After meeting my bf at a grocery store, this is 100% perfect. But even if you didn’t meet your special someone in aisle 5, they’re going to make all of your little moments exciting. 

There is never a dull moment 

You can spend 3 hours at the RMV together and he’ll make it feel like 2 minutes. 

You always have someone to share funny twitter posts with 

Funny meme, dog pics, or propaganda, he wants to scroll through it with you. Best part? You can DM him tweets and he won’t mind that you couldn’t make it two feet off the couch to show it to him.

Cons 

If you disagree on something, it’s weird to find someone else to spill the tea with 

There’s probably not a ton of things you disagree with, but if you do, who the heck do you spill the tea to? Of course, you have other friends but no one gets you quite like he does. 

When they’re not around, you’re incredibly lonely 

He went home for the weekend, your roommate is off campus, and you’re bored. Lonely Netflix binge here we come! 

You feel guilty about going out without them if they don’t also have plans 

Ladies night comes around and he’s stuck writing an essay. You want to text him because you feel bad that he’s trapped in a dorm room, but you don’t want to interrupt his work. What can you do? 

Overall, dating your best friend is a wonderful experience. 10/10 girlfriends recommend. Just watch out for those small cons every once in a while and make sure both of you have separate support groups for extra tea spilling.

Samantha Collette

Framingham '22

Fashion Design Major. Lover of the environment, ethical textiles, and pumpkin picking.