photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

The Pros and Cons of Being a Commuter Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

1. Sleep

Pro: Sleeping in your own bed

What a luxury it is to sleep in your own bed, no old reused mattress and no snoring roommate.

Con: Waking up early

Commuting means that to get to class you need to think about traffic and fighting for a parking spot. This can be life or death sometimes and who wants to wake before the sun rises for an 8:30!?

2. Showers

Pro: No public showers

No need to worry about the strange masses of hair left behind in the drain by a stranger. Also you can use your favorite bath products without worrying that your roommate will steal it. Also a relaxing bath whenever you want!

Con: Sharing the bathroom with your family

You love your family but not their filth or dirty laundry and what about personal space?

3. Your Room

Pro: Access to your entire closet

No need to fret if you forgot to pack something because you have access to everything…though you may have to rummage through it all to find what you are looking for

Con: No dorm room shopping

Yes you can tweak your child hood room into something less embarrassing but the only back to school items you are getting are notebooks and pencils.

4. Working Out

Pro: the gym is still full access

Feel like run-walking on the treadmill while watching daytime TV but not understanding a word of it because of loud music? You can with your schools built in gym.

Con: you need to drive to campus to workout

Yes, you can do at home workouts but who will see your cute new workout outfit? You could also plan to workout after/between classes but running back and forth to your car and fighting off car spot poachers is exercise enough, right?

5. Being Home

Pro: You can spend time with friends and family

If you live close to friends who haven’t abandoned you by moving across the country you can hang out with them.

Con: Missing out on campus events

Most things on campus happen at night and unless you are willing to drive back and forth you are very likely to spend your years not being part of campus life.

Commuters can be seen as outcast or anti-social but we don’t mean to be. We have to juggle the life of a college student and still follow our parent’s rules, and it is exhausting! But there are times when it feels amazing to be a commuter; driving to class while belting your favorite song and spending downtime napping in your bed.

I am an avid cat lover, aspiring dietition and anime fanatic!A super senior at FSU with a major in dietetics and a minor in psychology and fashion design.