This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Bubbly and enthusiastic, Rachel Lyon is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.  Anytime you run into her on campus, her bright smile and sweet demeanor immediately are comforting, and you can always count on a hug from this lovely lady.

Hometown: Milford, MA

Year: 2017

Major: Psychology

Jobs/Activities: Hilltop Players (currently directing The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), The Vagina Monologues (Assistant Director), Office Assistant in Residence Life, and Day Care Worker at The Learning Experience, EEC Certified

How did you get into theatre? Actually, through my mom! She’s been acting since I was a child, 8 and ½ years old. Since I have learning disabilities, I learned to read while helping her memorize her lines for Shakespearean plays and Godspell. I’ve been a theatre kid for so long, it’s such an escape from reality for me.  I am no longer Rachel, I’m that character I’m playing.

What’s your favorite show to have been in and/or prod staff for? My favorite show in high school was Cinderella during my sophomore year, I played one of the sisters, Portia.  However, through FSU, my favorite show thus far has been Dog Sees God during my freshman year.  I played Marcy, the wannabe drunk.  I liked this play a lot because it’s a real scenario, and the production staff was amazing!  My favorite to direct was definitely Little Shop of Horrors because it’s not only one of my favorite musicals, but it was also my first time directing a college production.

What do you love most about The Vagina Monologues? I really like the community that Vag Mons creates. During some rehearsals, we do “vagina happy time” where we talk about the positives and negatives of our weeks.  It establishes this supportive sisterhood, and when I’m going through my roughest times I like knowing I have a group of caring women that will be there for me.  Also, I love to be involved, this has been my fourth year doing Vaginas.

What do you like to do besides performing arts? Well… I love to juggle.  It’s a huge stress reliever for me.  I currently can do 3 balls, and I have 3 tricks I can do.  Trying to learn 4!  Also, I am a huge Netflix user, I just binged watched Fuller House.  I also love working with kids.

You’re currently in research methods II; what’s your favorite part of being a psychology major? Since I have psych disorders of my own, I like learning more about mine and others’.  I really love teaching, and I want to go into special education or be a school counselor.  I feel like my story is relatable, going through the learning disabilities school programs myself.  I’m the kind of person who sets personal goals, and then I persevere through to meet those goals.  I’m not ashamed of anything, I’m very open with myself.

You always look so nice and put together; where do you get your fashion sense?  I’m a vintage girl!! I make every piece of clothing my own, and I consider myself a thrifter. I will pay the least amount of money possible, and still create fabulous outfits. I really love hats, and I’m a sucker for shoulder pads!  The 20’s to the 50’s are my favorite fashion eras. 

Look at that engagement ring! What’s being engaged like? We’ve been together forever, so it’s almost like we’ve been engaged the whole time.  My sister’s already trying to plan the wedding!  It’ll be after I graduate, in like 2018.  My fiancé, Jeremy Smith, is wonderful.

Come see Rachel, myself and the other vagina warriors in The Vagina Monologues on March 24-26 in DPAC!! ({V})

Tess Irving

Framingham

netflix, bands & general nonsense. i sing/dance in public, doodle on notebooks & make a lot of puns.