Making it Work: FSU Alumni Take On The Runway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

The Fashion Retail and Design program here at Framingham State University is anything but easy. This major requires hard work, putting in the hours, and a passion for the industry. Two graduates of this program, Corey Ortiz (’15) and Nathalia (Castrillon) JMag (’16), took this drive that they used to graduate and are now set to be on Season 15 of Project Runway coming this fall on September 15 at 9/8c! These two young designers have very different styles both in their personal style and in the styles that they design, but they do not forget where they both came from. In an interview with Framingham State University JMag said that “[she and Corey] grew really close throughout the past few years and although [they] are very different, [they] surprisingly get along really well and [she is] happy to share this experience with him.”

(Ortiz is on the far right wearing a denim jumpsuit and JMag is in the back row third from the right.)

I remember both of these students very well from my freshman year at school in 2014. Corey was such an integral part of the fashion club E-Board where he and the other board members would plan all year and work together to create an amazing fashion show at the end of the year for all of the students who wished to submit their designs. It was at my first fashion show freshman year that I saw Nathalia JMags collection. It was a futuristic athleisure line featuring neoprene, bright blues and greens, and shapes that no one else would have ever thought to design. From all of the hard work I saw these designers put in 2 years ago I can only imagine the great work we will get to see this year on Season 15 of Project Runway! I think I speak for us all at Her Campus Framingham when I say Good Luck and get ready to Make It Work!

#DesignerNathalia #DesignerCornelius

Rachel Smith

Framingham '18

Former Co-Campus Correspondent; Graduated 2018; Fashion Merchandising Major with Communication Arts Minor; Dance Team, Fashion Club, Her Campus, and Peer Mentor
Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.