‘Made In The A.M.’ Track by Track Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

If I could have titled this album myself, it would have been something along the lines of Zayn Who? However, 1D’s camp did not give me that authority, so Made In The A.M. will have to do. Made In The A.M. is One Direction’s fifth studio album and their first without Zayn Malik, who left the band this past March, leaving Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson to continue as a four-piece. Even without Malik, there are no songs on this album that sound as though something is missing. If anything, having one less voice in the mix has allowed Horan and Tomlinson more time in the spotlight. A.M. finds Horan and Tomlinson with a much larger number of solos when compared to any previous albums. Besides giving the boys more vocal duties, the remaining four members also co-wrote the majority of the songs on the album, something not common to most boy-bands.

Hey Angel

Reminiscent of something that would have been on Backstreet Boys’ 2005 album, Never Gone, “Hey Angel” would fit perfectly in a movie soundtrack for an opening city scene. Styles’ strong vocals carry this song from start to finish.

Drag Me Down

“Drag Me Down” was a surprise release over the summer, and One Direction’s first release as a four-piece. The thumping bass line and high energy will definitely make this a fixture in their set lists once they return from hiatus. “Drag Me Down” is also further on the rock end of the spectrum compared to their previous albums, which is a nice change from the bubble-gum pop for which they were originally known.

Perfect

The fact that Styles helped pen this track becomes even more evident once one notices the lyric about Taylor Swift – “if you’re looking for someone to write your breakup songs about.” Upon first listen, it is obvious that this is the kind of song you listen to while “midnight driving with the windows down” with your best friends.

Infinity

“Infinity” did not immediately stick with me, and it took listening to it quite a few times to really appreciate it. Builds – slow first verse, very powerful chorus; but the vocal performance is too good to not love, standout lyric: “eyes can’t shine, unless there’s something burning bright behind, since you went away there’s nothing left in mine”

End of the Day

This was another track that I did not immediately love; the half time chorus out of nowhere was hard to get over at first, but after listening to it a few times it does not seem so harsh. Even so, the verses and chorus sound like completely different songs that were left over once the album was mostly complete and then pieced together to add another track.

If I Could Fly

Slow, emotional, delicate, and a tear-jerker, “If I Could Fly” is a true ballad. This is as close as 1D gets to the 90’s boy band sound on any of their tracks.

Long Way Down

Continuing with the slow songs, “Long Way Down” seems to be about what the boys will be going through over their hiatus, and what they have encountered over the past year. With Malik having left and facing the first year that they will not be touring together since 2010, it may be hard to come down from the fast pace of their lives so quickly. You can try to tell me that this is not about Malik, but the chorus of “I try to forgive you but I’m struggling ‘cause I don’t know how. We built it up so high and now I’m fallin’; it’s a long way down,” says otherwise.

Never Enough

A trumpet, trombone, and saxophone being featured make this a departure from a typical One Direction song, but it is a nice change of pace.  It impossible not to move along to the beat of this chorus and find yourself singing along by the end of the first listen.

Olivia

“Olivia” has an older, dreamy feel to it. It is definitely not the best song on the album, but it is catchy. The quick vocals and Leona Lewis reference, “this isn’t the stain of red wine, I’m bleedin’ love,” save it.

What a Feeling

“What a Feeling” is without a doubt similar to something your mom would listen to – it is  very 70’s, which makes sense as the boys describe it as sounding very “Fleetwood [Mac].”

Love You Goodbye

Every album needs a break up song. This album has one that starts off slow but builds to a powerful chorus. I can see the sold out stadium with everyone holding up cellphone lights now.

I Want to Write You a Song

“I Want to Write You a Song” is literally a song about writing a song, complete with the scratching of a pencil across paper throughout the track. The repetition of lyrics as the first and last line of each verse sounds like it would be cheesy, but in reality it is very sweet.

History

“History” may or may not be about Malik’s departure, or it may be another break up song. Either way, the hand clapping in the chorus is just begging for a stadium full of fans to join in and sing their hearts out.

Made In The A.M. is One Direction finding who they are as a four-piece. In a year when they return from hiatus, it will not be hard to grow from this album, and new material will sound like a stepping stone from A.M. rather than a totally new band.

More commonly known as Katy, I am a senior marketing major at Framingham State University. I enjoy long walks to the dessert section of the dining commons, reading into The Wonder Years lyrics, and adding to my growing collection of All Time Low t-shirts (the current count is 26). If you need me, I'm probably napping.
Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.