Last Minute Halloween Costume DIYs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

It’s days, or even hours before that Halloween party you wanted to go to. You were so swamped with midterms, club meetings and trying to catch up on all that sleep you’ve missed that you totally forgot to get a Halloween costume. That’s where we come in. Here are five easy, cheap, and creative last minute Halloween costume DIYs.

These costumes are all no-sew, can be used finding materials either at a dollar store, drug store, a big box craft store, or your own closet.

Skeleton

This one is super spooky and super easy to do. You’ll need two t shirts, (one black long sleeve and one white short sleeve) some fabric scissors, black pants of your choice, black eye make-up (either eye shadow or face-paint bought at your local party store) as well a black eyeliner. The black shirt will be layered over the white shirt, so this will be the one that you’re cutting. You’ll be cutting a rib cage design out of the black shirt. Flip the shirt inside out, and mark where you’d like to cut using chalk. 

Using fabric scissors, cut out the ribs.

With the eyeliner, mark outlines for the eye sockets, using your eyebrows as the top and the under crease of your eyes as the bottom. Mark the outline of the nose socket using your nose. Fill in the outlines with black eyeshadow or face-paint. Then create teeth with the (mouth safe!) eyeliner pencil or with lip liner/lipstick. 

(Special thanks to my model Jess S. for rocking this creepy look for me.)

Rosie the Riveter

Want to rock the vintage look and smash down gender barriers in order to aid in the wartime effort on the homefront at the same time? Of course you do, who doesn’t? Luckily, dressing as the American icon “Rosie the Riveter” is not all that complicated or expensive, especially since it’s literally a blue button-up shirt, high-waisted jeans, a bandana, and stand-out red lipstick. 

(American flag optional. Works best with history majors like our lovely model Hannah L.)

Cat Burglar

Apparently a cat burglar is someone who breaks into building from height up windows. I found this out just a few days ago. I assumed it was people who stole cats. I mean, if I was going to steal something, it would be a cat. (I really love cats.)

This costume will require black felt, a headband, scissors, ribbon/string, hot glue, all black clothes (including gloves!) a canvas bag, green fabric paint and a plush kitty.

Fold the felt in half and trace out a mask shape using a sharpie. (While the color from the marker won’t stick out per se, it will appear darker than the rest of the felt.) Cut out the mask and then cut out eye holes. Hot glue the ribbons to the outer edges of your mask so that you can tie it behind your head.

Cut out two triangles from the felt and hot glue them to your headband 

Cut the straps off of your canvas bag and paint on a green cash symbol (tip: place a folder in between the bag so the paint doesn’t seep through the other side!)

Using one of the straps, hot glue a holster so you can secure the kitty in the bag. Make the holster big enough for the kitty’s body but too small for the head.

Dress in all black from head to toe, put on the mask and ears and be a cat who unlawfully enters private property with the intent of stealing things, potentially including other cats. 

(I am a highly photogenic, highly serious junior-adult person.)

Fall Goddess/Fairy/Good Witch/[Insert Flowery Typically Gendered Female Mythical Creature]

This costume is a little more complicated, but it’s worth it. This costume requires an oversized fall colored t-shirt, fabric scissors, fall fake leaf garlands (at least two), bouquets of fall themed fake flowers (at least two), craft/garden wire, gardener’s tape, fall colored ribbons, hot glue, and crafting pliers.

Lay the shirt out and cut strips of fabric from the bottom of the shirt to the waist, as well as strips from the sleeves. Gently pull on the strands to curl in the edges.

Make a flower crown by twisting together two strands of the craft wire that you cut using the pliers that can fit your head.

Wrap the wire in the gardener’s tape.

Go wild with the fake flowers. Or create a pattern. You do you. Hot glue is your friend.

To make the wings, cut out four strands of the wire and make two separate twists together. Shape the twists into wings and attach them together using the hot glue. Wrap in the gardener’s tape. 

Wraps the wings with the garlands and glue on flowers. Glue ribbons to the top of the wings so that you can tie the wings over your shoulders and behind your back.

Wrap a desired length of a garland around a strip of ribbon that can comfortably wrap around your waist.

Wear your created outfit with a long sleeve solid colored shirt underneath with leggings or tights paired with shorts. 

(Shout out to Devinne S. for being too cute to handle as a model for this article.) 

Masquerade Attendee

For this costume, you will base your outfit off of your favorite pair of leggings. I live for galaxy print, so that’s my choice for this costume.

You’ll need a black t-shirt, fabric paint to match your leggings’ design, construction paper, a folder, scissors, an exacto knife, a glue stick, craft paint, a more fancy black shirt, black shorts or a skirt, black shoes, some funky jewelry/accessories, a headband, and a hot glue gun.

Draw a mask shape on the folder and cut it out. Using this mask, trace and cut a mask from the construction paper color of your choice. Glue these together and then trace eyes out. Cut the eyes out using an exacto knife.

Attach the string or ribbon to the outer edges of your mask to tie it around your head. Decorate to match your leggings. Because I choose a galaxy print, I used sponge brushes to dab on blues, purples, and whites to make galaxy clouds.

Cut off the sleeves of the black t shirt and cut up the sides to separate the front and the back. Cut off the collar and cut around neck to form a cape shape. 

Decorate in a similar fashion to your leggings and mask.

Using the excess fabric, cut out a rectangle to make a hairbow. You can sew the bow if you know how, but if you don’t hot glue can work. Glue the outer longer edges of the undecorated side of your fabric and fold in them into the center of the undecorated side.

Glue the outer edges of the shorter sides and fold those in as well.

Cut a thinner strip of fabric for the center of the bow. Stretch it out gently so the edges curl in. Pinch the bow’s center and glue the edges of the thinner fabric to secure the bow. Then, glue the bow to the headband. 

(I am actually quiet serious looking in this photo though.)

Have a wonderful and safe Halloween and unleash some of your creativity! 

Cindy Nelson

Framingham

Cindy is a junior Geography major with minors in English and Spanish. She is also the President of the FSU Craft Club and the Treasurer of the Green Team. As such, her hobbies include knitting, hugging trees, and costume making. Her life goal is to be a cat lady and she dedicates all of her articles to her cat, Hal, whom she talks about way too much.
Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.