Is IT Worth Watching?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

One of the first scary movies of the season and one of the most talked about, “IT” hit theaters September 8th. If you are like me you’d rather wait a week or two hear the critiques before spending $11- $13 at your local movie theater (because as college students anything more than $10 is pushing it). Here is my opinion with a limited number of spoilers.

I must say the cast is great! For child actors, you can’t really ask for more. They give depth to their characters few youngins’ are actually capable of. They are also hilarious and their jokes aren’t too forced. That being said, the female character has a rough background that isn’t for the faint of heart. She brings a dark side to the movie that might be a little too realistic for people. Now you might say a Clown killing children is dark, but this storyline might tug at the heart strings a little too hard for the usual horror crowd.  The clown’s backstory is a little confusing, maybe I missed something but me and my friends were left wandering what its really purpose was and how IT worked.

If you’re really interested in the scariness, this movie probably isn’t for you. The plot is interesting, but there is a lack of gore that a lot of us horror lovers enjoy. The couple of jump scares are predictable and the buildup left something to be desired. There was never any edge of my seat moments.

In the end, I honestly wish I had just waited till it came out on Redbox. If you get scared easily or appreciate plot and cast more than the horror part it might be worth it for you.