nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Interview with Coach Kelley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

The minute you walk into the coach’s office you can tell it is more than an office. It is a home. It is a space where memories are kept and displayed. It is a tribute to all games won home and away and to all the great accomplishments of Coach Kelley and the Framingham State football team over the years. Coach Kelley and I sat down today to discuss the Homecoming Game and his life.

Where are you from?

Coach Kelley is from Adams, MA which is in the northwest part of the state at the foot of Mount Greylock.

How many years have you been coaching here at Framingham State?

He has been assistant coach from 1978-1981 and head coach from 1982-1984. He then took a 20 year break, but then came back from 2007 until now!

What would you say is one of your game day catch phrases?

This coaches “game day” catch phrase is actually the day before the game! The saying is “The horse is in the barn and the barn door is closed.” He said most of his players still do not know what this means and I have no idea either!

Are you excited for the game against Western Connecticut State University this Saturday? Do you think it’ll be a good matchup?

Coach Kelley thinks this Saturday the 23 will be a good matchup. He said WCSU has a good group of players and it should be a great game hopefully!

How is the season going so far? Does the team have anything they’re really working on this year?

The Coach said that there are a lot of young team members and that the team is working hard on new skills. The assistant coaches are helping everyone really obtain these new skills and work on their current ones. He said that there are new adventures every week!

Are there any big new changes from last season?

There is a big change from last year! We had twenty-two graduating seniors last year so this now gives more playing time to the freshman players. We also have a new quarterback this year.

Did you used to play football and where?

Coach Kelley was on the first football team here at Framingham State University! The school had previously been an all-female college.

What is one hobby that people may not know that you have?

The Coach’s one true love is football so that his main hobby. He also really loves walking and his personal record is walking every day for four years straight!

Who is your favorite player in the NFL? (Could be playing or retired)

He picked a retired player for his all-time favorite. This football player played for University of Alabama from 1970 until 1972. He was then drafted into the NFL in 1973 and played for the Patriots his entire career until he retired after Super Bowl XX. Coach Kelley considers him to be one of the best linemen ever and one of the best football players to date. Did you guess Coach Kelley’s favorite player? It is John Hannah!

What is your favorite way to celebrate a big win?

The favorite way to celebrate a big win for the coach is to go out with all of the other coaches and order pizza and wings.

This interview with Coach Kelley was such a pleasure to do and I wish him and the team the best of luck on Saturday!

Rachel Smith

Framingham '18

Former Co-Campus Correspondent; Graduated 2018; Fashion Merchandising Major with Communication Arts Minor; Dance Team, Fashion Club, Her Campus, and Peer Mentor