How to Respect Retail Workers this Holiday Season (And All the Time)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

This is my fourth holiday season working in retail and I’ve found that the general public tends to treat retail workers even worse than usual around this time of the year. Here are some things to avoid when you’re doing your shopping this year.

Don’t come in/stay in the store past closing time

Especially when there are even later holiday hours! The later you stay in the store, the later the employees have to stay. Please, take that into consideration and follow store hours.

Don’t yell at worker for things they don’t control

I’m sorry we don’t carry your favorite item anymore, however I am a 19-year-old college student and I clearly do not have any control over what this company produces and what it doesn’t.

Don’t make the “Oh, it must be free!” joke

It’s not funny. It’s actually really inconvenient when you bring up an item without a price tag, and making jokes will only make you more annoying.

Don’t complain about waiting in line

Some stores are short-staffed and the workers that are there can’t do anything about it and are doing their best to be as fast and efficient as they can.

Don’t complain that you can’t use your expired coupon

It says the expiration date right on it, so that just leaves me wondering if you can’t read or if you don’t know the definition of expire.

In conclusion, please just be nice to retail workers this holiday season and all the time, because we’re people too.

Victoria Bailey

Framingham '20

vice president & senior editor of Her Campus Framingham