andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Really Enjoy Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

It’s the start of a new semester and you may be preparing to go abroad for the semester, this summer, or considering to go next semester. Studying abroad can be a life changing yet stressful experience. Here are some tips on how to get the most out of your time abroad!

1. Don’t feel like you have to do anything. If you’re not interested in art, don’t waste your time and money on seeing all of the art museums. If a city’s night life is not your priority, then do not feel like you have to go out to clubs and bars frequently.
  2. Do things by yourself! Get lunch alone, go exploring by yourself! You do not have to worry about pleasing anyone but yourself. Studying abroad is something you do for you.
  3. Enjoy the city you’re studying in. Don’t worry about going on frequent weekend and/or day trips, especially if you don’t want to go or can’t spend the money. There’s always so much to see and do in one city, so do not feel like you’re missing out by not going somewhere.
  4. Learn the language (as much as you can). It’s respectful to the natives and you don’t want to be the ignorant American who doesn’t even try. It will be easier to communicate, too.
  5. Know when to stop taking pictures. I strongly encourage taking as many pictures as you can because where you are is so beautiful and you’ll want to remember every detail. But don’t forget to put your camera or phone down and live in the moment.

Happy and safe travels!

Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.