How to Make Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

It’s a new school year, and for a lot of college students that means a new dorm room as well. One of my favorite things about college is decorating my room. It’s my home away from home, and I want to feel cozy and comfortable every time I walk in. Here are my tips on how to make your dorm room cute and homey, while also staying on a college student’s budget! 

1. Look up inspiration on Pinterest

Pinterest is my go-to place for pretty much everything. There are so many amazing pictures that you can take inspiration from and incorporate into your own dorm room. Whatever you’re looking for, you can find it on Pinterest! A lot of times pictures also have direct links to items shown, so it makes it super easy to shop! 

2. DIY Projects 

While I’m not the most creative person, I love finding easy DIY projects that I can incorporate into my dorm room. One of my favorite projects to do is script writing and calligraphy. It’s super easy to look up examples of fun quotes or poems to write out onto cardstock and hang on your walls. This adds a fun and personal touch to your room and is also a great way to be creative and save money! 

3. Printing Out Pictures 

One of my favorite things to put up in my dorm room are pictures. I love being able to look at my walls and remember all the fun memories I’ve had. One of my favorite things to do with my pictures is to add a white border around them. This gives a more uniform and minimalistic touch. CVS and Walgreens are great places to print out all your pictures for your room, and they are pretty affordable as well! (you can also find a lot of coupons online :) ) 

4. Lighting 

Lighting is so important in any space you’re decorating. For me, I love warm lighting because it instantly makes the space feel cozier and more inviting. One of my favorite things to put up in my dorm room are string lights. I love the look of them all around the room, and they instantly transform a room from drab and dark to warm and cozy!

Cate Bromery

Framingham '22

Sophomore, Fashion Merchandising major. I love the beach, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping!