books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Hardest Transitions from Summer to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

It’s that time of year again when school is back in session and it’s safe to say I’m not the only one who isn’t thrilled about it. Going from four months of freedom in summer to a regimented schedule at school in a matter of a day or two is hard. Some of the hardest transitions are pretty universal with college students.

Going from sleeping in to setting an alarm every morning to wake up for class. Even if you couldn’t sleep in during the summer due to work or other factors, most people usually get a lot more sleep during summer than they do during the school year. Adjusting to the change in your sleeping schedule might be the hardest thing.

Having a steady job/income in the summer to making significantly less money in the school year. I know this isn’t true for everyone because I know a lot of students who work multiple jobs during the academic year, but it’s true for me and it’s going to hit me hard. I worked almost everyday during the summer at my job back home. Now that I’m back at school I do have a job, but with significantly less hours. It’ll definitely be something I have to get used to again.

Seeing your friends and family everyday to only seeing them on occasional weekends. If you live on campus, it’s hard to get used to not seeing the same people everyday that you saw during summer. The same is true when going from school to summer, but for some people the transition from summer people to school people is harder because they’ve known the people at home for longer and it feels like the beginning of freshman year all over again.  

Being in a new atmosphere. If you live on campus then in can be hard the first couple weeks adjusting to your living situation. Some people have a roommate at school but not at home, for some it’s the opposite. Either way, I think we can all agree that the last night sleeping in our own bed was a bittersweet one

Victoria Bailey

Framingham '20

vice president & senior editor of Her Campus Framingham