To the Girl Who Thinks She Can’t Pull it Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

To the girl who thinks she can’t pull it off: You can. I swear to god, you won’t look stupid. I know it’s scary to walk out the down trying something new. Maybe it’s a new shade of lipstick, maybe it’s a risky fashion choice. Even if you’ve only ever thought of yourself as one “type” of person who can’t pull off the latest trend. For whatever reason, it seems like a lot of women don’t feel like they can do something daring with their looks.

It’s not just for the girls on Instagram who look like that have perfect lives. It’s for those girls who have insecurities, too. Past the filters, fun pictures, and smiles everyone has things that they are unconfident about. Social media tricks people into thinking that others don’t have problems. People usually just want to post the good. There’s nothing wrong with that, but we all need to remember that the people behind the social media accounts are just people, with fears and anxieties just like the rest of us.

Confidence doesn’t come overnight. And if you want to grow more confident, the first step is to try something new. You’re not going to like everything new you try and that’s okay. At the end of the day, it’s nothing truly important to who you are. You’re still wonderful. Trying something new with your looks might be one way for you to grow more confident. Or maybe it’s not and that’s also okay.

If you feel like trying a bold lipstick when you usually wear nude lips or whatever you want to do, do it. Life is too short, we’re all too young to have regrets. And maybe in a couple years you’ll be embarrassed by whatever new trend you want to try. But you’ll be glad you tried because a part of living is embracing the time in which we live. So just do it. It’s better to regret and know what happens than to just regret not doing something so harmless.

Hannah Lavin

Framingham

Hardcore napper and history nerd. Anime, cat and pun lover of no renown. Still waiting on that Hogwarts letter.