This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Some of the best female characters of all time are on television. While we’re lucky to live ina time where there are so many powerful, feminist representations of women in television, here is a short list of some of my personal favorites!

Jess Day (New Girl)

Jess is a great reminder that we can support feminism and still be “girly.”

Leslie Knope (Parks and Rec)

Leslie is a positive and supportive friend and government worker who strives to make a difference. Plus, she invented Galentine’s Day!

Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Liz Lemon defends her fellow woman and calls out a sexist society.

Issa Dee (Insecure)

Issa’s character is an amazing representation of what many black women experience in dating, careers, and life in general.

Peggy Olsen (Mad Men)

Peggy started as a secretary in a sexist work environment and worked her way up to higher positions. In the ’60s nonetheless.

Mary Richards (The Mary Tyler Moore Show)

The most famous feminist on television; Mary has been an incredible influence on so many women every since the ’70s, when many of the topics the show explored (such as equal pay, birth control, and female sexuality) were almost never discussed.

Olivia Pope (Scandal)

Olivia defies stereotypes and gets the job done in the world of politics

Jane Villanueva (Jane the Virgin)

Jane works hard for everything she wants, whether she’s studying to be a teacher or writing her novel. While the show does focus on her love life, her character is never defined by it.

Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.