ASB, Teaching, and Good Vibes: Meet Alex Brown!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

You have probably seen Alex Brown’s smile either working desk in the residence halls or passing by while he runs around on campus. From his dreams of being an elementary teacher to his love for community service, we got to sit to down with Alex and get to know the man behind that genuine, welcoming grin. 

Major: Math       

Minors: Psychology

Year: Senior Class of 2017

Involvement: SDA, intermurals- soccer, ASB

1. So you just recently went on Alternative Spring Break! How was that? 

Phenomenal. Essentially, I am left speechless from my experience. It was a very moving because I really got outside my comfort zone multiple ways. From being in an area I’ve never been in before and doing construction, which I’ve never had experience… we really helped people. We worked on a woman’s house who hasn’t had a home for 12 years. She had been living in a church. We learned a lot about the culture down there and about the privileges we are given. The people I went with made a huge impact on how I am as a person, I now have 29 other friends and they really made it special for my last one.

One quote that fully sums up the experience is “you haven’t really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you”.

2. What is your favorite part about volunteering?

My favorite thing is realizing how much others actually really love service as well. When we went down I remember seeing a lot of people I had met in earlier years but may not have interreacted directly with. But I saw them in a new light and watched them fall in love with this. It is really rewarding to see that in others when I care about and love it so much as well.
3. Do you have any after graduation plans?

Pending my final MTEL being passed, definitely applying to as many public-school programs to teach. Hopefully 4th, 5th or 6th grade.
4. What has been your favorite class you have taken?

Field Study 3, which is science, social studies, special needs, and math for elementary education.
5. What is your favorite food? 

Lobster, for sure.
6. Do you have Netflix and if you do what is your favorite show to binge watch? 

I think I am starting New Girl. One of my all-time favorite shows in general, NCIS definitely.

7. What is your favorite song to dance to?  

Shit there’s a lot! *Spends 5 solid minutes scrolling through music* Turn me on by Kevin little. *Starts dancing and singing at desk*
8. Where do you most want to travel to? 

Right now, go back to New Orleans. If I had the opportunity to go anywhere I would definitely go to Europe, no where specifically. New Orleans has my heart right now, though.

9. Who has been your biggest role model on campus?

There are 2. The first would have to be Resident Director Johnny Hurley. My first two years of college he was such an important influence as to who I was becoming and who I wanted to be, but as I transitioned and began working through many other struggles that come along with college I met my second role model, Will Reddy in SILD. Both of them have contributed to my college career, the man I am today, and the man I hope to be in the future.

Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.
Rachel Smith

Framingham '18

Former Co-Campus Correspondent; Graduated 2018; Fashion Merchandising Major with Communication Arts Minor; Dance Team, Fashion Club, Her Campus, and Peer Mentor