5 Things That Only Make Sense While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

When you’re studying abroad you get used to a certain kind of day to day lifestyle. Then once you get back you realize you can’t do everything you did while in a different part of the world. Here are the top five things that you can only do abroad and not back on your home campus:

Going to a different country for the weekend

There’s no such thing as casually going to Switzerland. Not even on a three day weekend. It’s a lot more expensive and not possible back home in the states.

Getting lost

Getting lost while abroad is acceptable. It’s seen as learning and experiencing the city. Getting lost on campus in your junior year is just weird.

Going out to dinner almost every night

While you’re abroad you want to go out and eat as much as the local cuisine as you can because you’re only there for a short time (even a semester abroad can feel like it flies by). This means trying to go to restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Having a drink with every meal

You just can’t help it, okay?

Talking to Strangers

Studying abroad is the only time you’re encouraged to talk to strangers. But of course they don’t say “go talk to strangers” you’re told to “engage with the locals.”

Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.