This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

I’ve always had a fascination with boxing. There’s something about dancing around a ring that attracted me. It also seems super badass. When I heard about Rumble, I thought it would be a perfect way to expose myself to boxing. I was right.

What is Rumble?

Rumble is a HIIT workout, which stands for high intensity interval training. It combines a total of 10 rounds: 5 on the bag and 5 on the floor. The bag is a water-filled bag, and you use a combination of 6 basic punches throughout your bag rounds. The floor consists of a bench and several sets of weights, and you spend the floor rounds doing strength and conditioning with both the weights and your own body weight. You can start on the bag or the floor; I always start on the bag. You do three rounds, three rounds, two rounds, two rounds. A one-hour workout total, with active recovery between each round.

What is it actually like your first time?

Before: There’s three locations in the city, so options are a bit more limited. You can – and should – choose your class online based on the instructor. They have profiles on the website that explain who each instructor is and what they’re about. Once you get to your location, you check in and they remind you what bag or floor number you have. You get a pair of super cool wraps that you get to keep and bring back every class. You also grab your rental gloves. You hang out until the instructor calls you into class over the loudspeaker. He or she stands at the door and fist-bumps you as you head into the classroom. Before the class starts, you go through the six punches, so you can familiarize or re-familiarize yourself.  

During: Assuming you start on the bag, it can be really awkward getting the hang of combinations of the punches, especially using your non-dominant hand. But the instructions are always projected on the top of the wall, which helps a lot. The room is super dark, so you can focus on yourself. The instructor puts together the workout, and stands in the front hyping you up. You have an active recovery between rounds, which always consists of boxer sit-ups on the bag or boxer bounces on the floor. When you switch, you find your corresponding number on the floor. You select the weights you want, and I suggest starting low before you know the exercises, then you can add weight later. You can modify the weight and body weight exercises, and you can also modify the pace of your punches to fit what you can do. The instructors are super encouraging and play awesome music to keep you hype.

What about after?

Right After: You have a nice group stretch at the end, which I suggest staying for if you have the time. The instructor stands at the door to say “good job” to everyone as they leave. You drop your gloves and head to the lockers. You can shower there too, and the locker rooms are super nice. You’ll be sweaty and super tired, it is definitely one of the more intense workouts I’ve done. That being said, it is completely do-able. You feel like a total badass too.

The Next Day: Your forearms and wrists will be a little sore, especially as you adjust to the way you have to hold your arms during the punches. Depending on the floor exercises, different parts of your body will be sore, probably all of it. You’ll wanna go back though, the wraps will be patiently waiting for you to use again.

What sets Rumble apart from other workout classes?

Honestly, you just feel super cool during and after the class. And the instructors are really awesome people, you’ll 100% want to follow them on Instagram. The gear is cool too. It is a super unique workout that makes you feel strong and in-shape. You feel kinda famous when you’re done, like a professional athlete getting out of a training session. You can also take personal sessions with instructors if you want, which I have yet to do but want to get to.

My name is Kate, but you can call me Kava. Currently realizing my childhood dream of living in New York City. The Bronx counts too, right? I am studying Psychology and Communications & Media Studies at Fordham University. I love iced coffee, photography, the beach, and finding cool places that everyone wants to know about. Here to share my thoughts about everything I possibly can, hoping someone is reading.