Women’s Basketball Star: Hannah Missry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Name: Hannah Missry

School & Year: FCRH 2016, Gabelli Graduate School of Business 2017 (I tell everyone I’m a senior.)

Major/Minor: Communications, MS in Media Management 

Campus Involvement: (in addition to Women’s Basketball) Student Athlete Advisory Committee

1. Why did you choose Fordham? I’m from New Jersey and it’s close enough to home, and they were recruiting me for awhile in high school. The campus is beautiful!

2. What’s your favorite thing about basketball? Besides the ridiculous amount of time put into it, and not having a normal childhood, the relationships I’ve made and the places I have traveled for basketball has made it all worth it.

3. What it was like to be interviewed by the New York Times? It was incredible! She was extremely nice and didn’t know a thing about basketball, but it really sunk in once I saw our picture on the cover of the sports section.

Image via NYTimes, Photo Credit: Karsten Moran

4. Favorite college memory and/or favorite memory playing for the team? There are SO many, but to narrow down the selection, our foreign tour in 2013 to Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji is up there. Also, during my freshman year we won the Atlantic 10 Championship, and that experience was unbelievable.  

5. If you could pick 3 celebrities, who would be in your celebrity entourage? This is pretty tough. I’d honestly love to hang out with professional athletes. Noah Syndergaard has some really funny tweets. I feel like Ellen DeGeneres is hilarious, can’t go wrong with that. Maybe Serena Williams, she’s cool. 

6. Dream job? Working in the NBA is definitely a dream of mine.

7. Do you have any pre-game rituals? Before every game, I have to brush my teeth. I still don’t know why I do that.

8. Any advice for fellow student-athletes? No one ever said it was going to be easy. My advice would be to focus on the big picture, even when it gets tough, because in the end, you’re only going to remember your proudest moments.

Natalie is a senior at Fordham University where she is a Communications major, concentrating in Journalism. She's previously been a Public Relations Intern at Rent the Runway, a Features Editor at Seventeen Magazine, and an Editorial Intern at Dance Spirit Magazine. This semester, she has the opportunity to combine both of her passions, dance and journalism, as a Press Intern at the New York City Ballet. She continues to take class at the infamous, Broadway Dance Center as she hopes to enjoy her senior year to the fullest.