This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As we settle back into school for the spring semester, many of us feel differently about transitioning back to college life. Some might be sad that they are leaving their families again. Some are probably excited to experience spring on campus and reunite with their friends. Many of us are nervous for our new classes and the stresses that a new semester brings. Though looking ahead is exciting, it’s important that we also appreciate the experiences we had at home (or wherever we were!) during winter break. So, here’s my winter break recap:

Favorite Meal: Casual Habana

Casual Habana is a Cuban restaurant near my house that never fails to deliver. My personal favorites are the cilantro lime chicken wings, empanadas, vaca frita entrée, and French fries. As a pretty picky eater, Casual Habana was scary to me at first – but the dishes are all so flavorful and delicious that it’s made me much more adventurous!

Favorite Experience: New Year’s Eve in Hoboken

New Year’s Eve is always a stressful holiday – the pressure to have exciting plans is overwhelming. However, this year, a few of my friends from college and I were able to reunite in Hoboken, NJ and spend New Year’s together! Though it was an expensive night, it was worth it to be surrounded by my best friends as we rang in the new year. And of course, the night ended with pizza.

Favorite hobby: reading

Winter break gives us a lot of spare time to do things we might have not had time to do throughout the semester. Personally, I love to read, but feel like I’m always too busy or too tired to sit down with a good book. Over break, I had the time and energy to curl up on the couch with a good book. Two of my favorites were Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney (I’d rate it an 8/10) and The Other Woman by Sandie Jones (I’d rate it a 6/10). If you like psychological thrillers, check these out!

favorite activity: trying restaurants

One of my favorite things to do is visit new restaurants. Over the break, I went to Fort Lee, NJ, which is a short drive from my hometown and known to have the best Asian food around. I tried pork soup dumplings. As I said before, I’m a bit of a picky eater, so I wasn’t sure I would like the freshly made cuisine. However, I loved it. If you live in New Jersey or New York, I highly recommend visiting Fort Lee for some amazing authentic Asian food!

favorite lazy day tv show: the recruit

Winter break (and winter in general) can involve lots of laying in bed and binge watching TV. I spent quite a lot of time relaxing and watching TV over the break, and found myself invested in some pretty suspenseful shows. My favorite was “The Recruit” on Netflix. The series is a short 8 episodes, but I sped through it quickly because of how addicting it was. The show stars Noah Centineo acting as a new lawyer for the CIA. If you like shows full of crime and plot twists, I highly recommend!

Kaleigh Pfohl

Fordham '23

Kaleigh is an International Political Economy major at Fordham and loves reading, traveling, and trying new restaurants!