Culture > News

Why Donald Trump Will be President for 4 More Years…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Because you don’t vote. You don’t challenge your friends to vote, and you don’t pay attention to our future. But you do tweet and repost on Instagram, especially about his impeachment, and bad decisions, and blatant racism. 

In the 2016 election — one of the most controversial, heavily-funded, and partisan elections in modern history, only 56% of the population turned out to vote.

I am here to sympathize with the fact that registering to vote is hard, and it is a process that needs to be fixed. But a large majority of Americans are simply lazy and are not taking a hold of their future. 

But you’re not paying attention to our primaries and supporting candidates that could have a chance! Sure the bandwagon of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders (and maybe Joe Biden) are great for some, but not the average American. These people can’t win the median, bipartisan vote. 

Aside from Americans simply not exercising their rights to participate in democracy, Democratic candidates are shooting themselves in the foot. 

The United States is the most politically polarized it has been in decades. Donald Trump is one of the most polarizing presidents and candidates in American history. But his voters turn out. Industries like oil and coal will fund his path to the White House. 

Democratic candidates are too busy getting in the way of each other to realize the real threat — four more years of racism, climate change denial, and an incompetent president. Figure out a clear, consolidated message that will unite Americans, not further polarize them. 

While Sanders “is running for president to defeat Donald Trump and transform our economy to one that works for all of us and not just the one percent,” he can’t win the middle vote, or frankly some Democrats. 

Warren is “fighting to rebuild the middle class,” but her plans are unoriginal, not fiscally viable, and impossible to pass through our current Congress. 

Don’t get me wrong, every single candidate is a better option than a shortsighted, racist man who is funded by billionaires and has complete disregard for our laws.

But the truth is that you cannot win elections without voters from both sides of the aisle. Get out and vote in the primaries, support the candidates that share your vision, and hope that the Democratic party can figure out a consolidated, conceivable mission. 

Hi everyone! I'm from Buffalo, NY and I'm majoring in Political Science & French at Fordham. I am so proud to be Editor of our chapter. I love keeping up with politics and current events, enjoy my articles!