Why Dear Evan Hansen Is The Broadway Show Everyone Needs To See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As someone who grew up doing musical theater and still keeps up with all that Great White Way has to offer, I would consider myself a Broadway nerd. What can I say? I love a good show tune, a moving performance, and stars that can sing flawlessly eight times a week while dancing and acting.

When I heard that a new show called Dear Evan Hansen was coming to Broadway late last year, I knew I had to see it. It comes from the director of my two all-time favorite shows, Next to Normal and Rent, so I knew it would be right up my alley. After Christmas, I decided to treat myself and purchase an orchestra seat to see the show at the end of March.

Typically, I become obsessed with a show before seeing it and learn the cast album backward and forward. However, this time I wanted it to be different. I wanted to allow myself to experience the show without having to fight the urge to sing along and without knowing what would happen next. All I knew going into the show was one of its signature songs that had been released prior to the cast album, Waving Through a Window, and the most basic premise. I’m happy that I made that decision because when I saw the show this past Thursday, it truly blew me away and struck a chord in a way that was different from all of my past Broadway experiences.

Without giving away too much about the plot, you should know that Dear Evan Hansen follows the story of a high school senior, Evan Hansen (played by Pitch Perfect star Ben Platt), as he finds himself trapped in a lie that spirals out of control. It explores issues of mental health, the struggle of finding where you fit in as a teen, and the consequences of today’s hyper-connected social media world. Mental health is a topic that isn’t talked about often enough. It’s a real issue among youth and adults alike, yet society tends to shy away from it, making it “taboo.” Dear Evan Hansen addresses the subject in a beautiful way and opens the door for conversation.

If you’re not the type to enjoy or seek out Broadway shows, you need to give Dear Evan Hansen a chance because it is different from your stereotypical flashy musical theater piece. The set is stripped down to the essentials, except for a collection of screens depicting the barrage of media we consume on a daily basis. The score is the perfect blend of melodic pop, show-stopping harmonies and high notes, and subtle rock edge. The cast is absolutely phenomenal. You can feel every emotion, every word, every lyric.

This show truly has something for everyone. It will make you laugh out loud, but it will also make you tear up and cry. The story is so relatable yet so unique. It will make you pull your loved ones a little closer the next time you hug them, and it will make you question the way you’re living your life. It’s thought provoking, touching, empowering, and overall, deeply moving.

If you’re looking to find some inexpensive tickets, I recommend either buying some really far out in advance or trying your shot at the digital lottery. You could even try to snag standing room tickets – if you’re willing to line up at the box office at 5 AM with no guarantee. However you do it, you will not regret it. In fact, you’ll probably get hooked on the cast album and be dying to see it again and again (like I am right now).

Sophia is a sophomore from Houston, Texas majoring in Marketing and minoring in Film & Television at Fordham University. When she is not in class you can find her watching Survivor, listening to true crime podcasts, or wandering around New York City in search of her next favorite sweet treat.