What to Expect at College Fashion Week NYC 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

The most stylish event of the year is just right around the corner.  On Saturday, October 1st from 6- 9 pm, fashion and self-expressivity will be celebrated at the 2016 College Fashion Week in New York City for its fifth year.  This fun and empowering three-hour event will be showcasing top talent from the next generation of female fashion entrepreneurs and designers.  Popular brands such as My Social Canvas, Foray, Ali & Ariel, Frill Clothing, and Bow & Drape that involve students and emerging designers will be featured in the lineup this year.  As a member of Her Campus, I have heard such great things about the event in past years, but have never actually gone myself.   However, this year I will be going to College Fashion Week NYC for the first time with some of my closest friends and I am so excited to see what’s in store for us.

From what I have heard in previous years, College Fashion Week is just like what it appears to be – one big fashion celebration.  After doing some research online, I was thrilled to discover that there will be four distinct runway shows, each featuring runway models of real local college girls of all different backgrounds.  I think that this is empowering and representative of the diversity of beauty in all women.  Instead of emphasizing on a certain look, having a wide-ranging mix of models makes it more authentic and relatable to a broader audience of women.  In between these fashion shows, all guests will have the opportunity to mingle, network and collect gifts from various sponsors including Rebecca Minkoff, Vince Camuto, Drybar, Fitbit, Maidenform Shapewear, Maidenform Hosiery, Hanes Hosiery, European Wax Center, KIND, Essie and more.  And let’s be honest, there’s nothing better than going to a fun event where you can be pampered and leave with a goody bag full of stylish products…

As a devotee of fashion myself, I am overjoyed to be a part of such a fun, inclusive setting with other aspiring college students who share the same passion.  I am looking forward to networking with talented designers and seeing the beautiful models strut the runway showcasing the latest, upcoming fall trends.  After being able to listen to some of the most influential college designers speak about their own personal experiences and how they first got started, I believe that I will be learn so much more about the fashion industry and what goes into the clothing production.  My whole life I have always wanted to see what a real fashion show is like and how it is set up, and now I am finally getting that chance.  This is a one of a kind opportunity and I am enthusiastic to be able to go and experience it with friends, other Her Campus members and college fashionistas from the around the area! 

~ It’s where fashion show meets girls’ night out ~

Katherine Falzon (aka Kat) is a senior at Fordham University. Her major is Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in Journalism. A Jersey girl at heart, she spends her summers down the shore and enjoys playing the guitar, running, and writing for pleasure. Katherine hopes to someday make her passion of writing a full-time career. Curious to find out more about Katherine? Follow her on Instagram @kat_falzon