Weekend Activities Besides Tri-Bar, Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

At this point, whether you are a freshman or a senior, you have probably discovered – or at least heard about – the collection of establishments known as the Tri-Bar.  Sure, every once in a while it’s fun to go to the local bars and see people you know, but it can quickly turn into a redundant blur of unnecessary covers and overcrowded rooms.  I have come up with an assortment of ideas to switch up your weekend routine that are fun, affordable, and worth it!

Billiards
Channel your inner pool shark and head to a billiards bar in Manhattan. There are tons of places to play pool in New York City, ranging from arcades to pool halls to fully stocked bars. Grab some friends and play a standard game, 8-ball, cut throat, or a number of other varieties of the game.

Bowling
Glow-in-the dark bowling is an awesome way to spend the evening.  Whether it’s filled with gutter balls or perfect strikes, it will surely be a night to remember.  Sometimes, bowling alleys jack up the prices on Friday and Saturday nights but the light shows and DJs make it well worth it!

Movies
There are tons of great movie theaters in New York City. Catch an afternoon flick at matinee price and smuggle in your own snacks to save money!

Comedy Club
There are tons of comedy clubs, and you can often snag tickets at low prices at Time Square. What sounds more cheerful after a stressful week than a night filled with live comedy, friends, and lots of laughs? Be aware, though, that several places have a two-drink minimum, so prepare to spend some extra cash.

Clubbing
If you’re looking to dance the night away, it’s a good thing you go to school in the city that never sleeps! There are dozens of clubs in Manhattan, from more casual establishments to high-class nightclubs. If you know a promoter, you can skip the line and snag a table as well!  Just be sure to look up information beforehand and dress to impress…You never know who you might see!

Katie is a junior Communication and Media Studies major at Fordham University. Despite going to school in the Bronx, she is a proud Jersey Girl, born and raised in Cedar Grove, NJ. Since the sixth grade, communications has been her passion and main pursuit. She is actively involved in her school's television station and currently anchors the Fordham Nightly News. As a proud Italian-American, she also serves as a National Youth Co-Chair for UNICO, the largest Italian-American service organization in the U.S., and is a two-time scholarship recipient and member of New York Women in Communications. Katie is currently a Digital Media intern at Ralph Lauren. Some of her favorite things are the Jersey Shore (the place, not the TV show), anything chocolate, and the sales racks at Bloomingdales. She is obsessed with Glee, Rob Thomas, and Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic book series. After graduation, Katie plans on pursuing a career in broadcast journalism or public relations.