We Hate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Valentine’s Day sucks. There are no situations in which once can avoid ulcer-inducing stress brought on by a multitude of factors (amount to spend on gifts, what to expect, how to dress, how mushy to make the card, whether to talk about it with that hot guy you really want to ask you out), and every romantic situation has its own problems.

This is the way you should approach the holiday: 
Do not attempt to have a magical date/fling/girl’s night because that is what is supposed to happen, but aim to have fun in spite of what Hallmark, the restaurant industry, and Russell Stover want you to do.

First of all, it is inherent that you remember that you are a strong, independent woman. Do something good for yourself. There’s always the yoga classes offered Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays in Keating. Yoga releases endorphins, and gives you the confidence to walk past the flower delivery truck without a twinge in your heart.

Now it’s time to head out and do something fun. Personally, I think the best thing to do is to pamper yourself; there is no better way to feel as if you don’t need a guy than to make yourself happy. If you’re on a tight budget, head to Walgreens and pick up supplies for a DIY manicure. If you have a little wiggle room in your account, try Dashing Diva in Park Slope. Watching a good movie is also always a good bet. Today, however, is not the day for the tearjerker or the romantic comedy. Even if all you want is an old Disney movie, who better to commiserate with than Pocahontas or Simba?

A classy dinner partyis another perfect way to stay occupied and have fun. Of course, this is generally only feasible for those with kitchens in Walsh, Salice-Conley, and Campbell. For the rest of you, don’t fret. You can always create a meal in the communal kitchens and serve with friends in a social lounge. There is, also, take-out, which has the added benefit of being the ultimate food of camaraderie among single women; who can forget Sex and the City (the movie) when Miranda sits and eats Chinese food on New Years Eve?

Finally, resist the urge to gorge yourself on chocolate. If you have a kitchen, try out a soufflé or a mousse. If you are limited to microwaves, plan ahead and try some specialty chocolates (Target’s Choxie brand does not cost that much, and there are higher-end candy shops throughout Manhattan).

Call us the scrooges of Valentine’s Day. We’re the ones who don’t squeal when we get a personalized teddy bear, who cringe at the thought of Russell Stover and who roll our eyes when we see couples exchanging loving gazes. And we’re proud of that, and we will not curl up and hide just because it the calendar says it is February 14.

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.