Under the Tent 2018: Ocean Drive ’85

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Fordham Residence Hall Association just announced the annual spring weekend Under The Tent dance theme–Ocean Drive ’85. The ’80s were a major time for fashion, music, and dancing, so of course this theme is perfect for the dance. It is semi-formal, but that is very much up for interpretation–think pastels, structured tailoring, sequins, and shoulder pads. What you want to stay away from is the aerobic feel of the ’80s, as this isn’t really considered semi-formal. 

Miami in the ’80s was the definition of cool. Popular TV shows depicted Miami-dwellers as fashion-forward, ‘too cool for you’ types. Flash forward to 2018, when you can see similar fashions being modernized by people such as Dua Lipa with her ‘New Rules’ music video and Ryan Murphy with ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace.’ The late Versace was truly inspired by the city in his couture collections, and made a lasting impact on fashion with his signature styles.  

We’ve paired some of our favorite ’80s looks with comparable items to get your outfit search started. 

Pastels

In the music video for Dua Lipa’s ‘New Rules,’ Dua and her friends are lounging in a Miami hotel, all donning similar pastel looks. Lipa sports a yellow dress draped in a tropical print silk shirt. Take a page out of her book and try mixing and matching pastel separates. Bonus points if one or more of the pieces has a little more structure–like a blazer or a belted pant. 

White belted pant / blue dress / yellow jumpsuit / lilac crop top /  pink skirt light pink pants 

Cold Shoulder

As famously worn by Molly Ringwald in Pretty In Pink, the cold shoulder was a big deal in the ’80s. With its recent resurgence, there are plenty of options on the market. 

Dress 

All-White Everything

White-on-white is so chic, and again–bonus points for structure. Opt for a pair of white pants and a white blazer, or seek out a belted dress instead to take on this popular ’80s film trend. 

Dress

Jumpsuit 

Tailored Separates

Have I mentioned that women’s tailoring was huge in the ’80s? Go bold in a pair of geometric-patterned pants paired with a solid top and a blazer and you’ll be good to go. 

Pants 

Power Jumpsuit

Along with the rise of the power suit for women, the jumpsuit followed. Pair a jumpsuit with statement earrings and a pair of slinky heels to complete your upgraded ’80s look. 

Jumpsuit

Statement Sleeves

Of course this list would not be complete without a shoulder pad suggestion. Lucky for us, statement sleeves have been making a comeback in recent years. There are plenty of not over-the-top sleeves that will take your look to the next level. 

Dress 

Dress 

Vacation Vibes

Straight from one of Gianni Versace’s first collections (photo left) is the concept of vacation wear as formal wear. Pair a midi-length pencil skirt in a fun hue with a satin shirt for the ultimate Miami vibe. 

Skirt / Top 

Sequins

Made popular by shows like Dynasty and legends like Diana Ross, sequins were as on-trend in the ’80s as they have been every New Year’s Eve since. This upgraded blazer situation is super-chic, and easy to pull off. 

Blazer 

Crop top 

Leopard Print

Everyone’s favorite guilty-pleasure fabric, leopard print, made waves in the ’80s. Pick a style that encompasses ’80s fashion such as ruffles or off-the-shoulder. 

Dress 

Lingerie 

Okay, hear me out. Madonna is the queen of lingerie as couture. Just ask her MTV VMAs look or the ‘Like A Virgin’ video. To pull this off, find a bodysuit that is made of lace and wear a skirt, leather pants, or even a tutu–and don’t forget the gloves! 

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.