This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Air travel is an unfortunate, yet necessary part of travel. Although it’s not something many people look forward to, air travel is the easiest way to visit many places. Being from Omaha, Nebraska originally, I frequently make the trek halfway across the country to return home for breaks. After a more than fair share of delayed flights, missed connections, and lost luggage, I’ve compiled a list of 10 basic air travel tips which will help make your holiday travel experience (at least a little) more comfortable! 

1. Pack an empty water bottle to fill up once you’re out of security. 

Just about everything is overpriced within the airport. Plan ahead so you don’t end up paying for a $6 bottle of water. 

2. Consolidate your travel information all in one place.

It’s a good idea to consolidate all of your travel information into one accessible location. It’s super easy to get disorganized while traveling from place to place, and losing track of the important details and documents is the last thing you want to happen. 

3. Take an immunity supplement prior to traveling.

You’ll be interacting with so many people and germy surfaces throughout your travels, so it’s smart to take a little supplement a few days before you plan on leaving. It definitely can’t hurt!

4. Pack healthy snacks ahead of time. 

Packing snacks ahead of time will guarantee not getting stuck with an unhealthy and expensive alternative. If you’re running late it’s also nice to know you’ve got a snack to hold you over just in case.

5. Download your airline app on your mobile device. 

Downloading the app for the airline you’re traveling with is a must. Specific apps provide you with the most accurate and updated information regarding the status of your flight, and most of them also offer extra details and benefits to make your experience better!

6. Pack a warm and comfy sweatshirt (even if you don’t think you’ll need it).

I’ve ended up buying an unhealthy amount of overpriced sweatshirts that I didn’t really want, but ended up needing due to unexpectedly delayed flights and missed connections. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to comfort! And airports are always chilly, so prepare accordingly!

7. Download books, music, and shows ahead of time. 

Airport WiFi is frequently unreliable and incredibly slow. Downloading entertainment ahead of time will definitely come in handy, especially if you’re running late! 

8. Bring noise-canceling headphones.

If you don’t have a pair of noise-canceling headphones, they’re worth investing in. Everybody needs a little peace and quiet!  

9. Moisturize!

Air travel will without a doubt dehydrate your skin. Stay on top of it by moisturizing ahead of your travels.  

10. Stay hydrated and eat well.

Air travel frequently does not go as planned so it’s important to stay on top of what you’re putting into your body. Drinking enough water and eating more nourishing foods will help make your experience better, regardless of the circumstances.

Hey everyone! My name is Lucy Peterson and I’m a senior studying English & Anthropology at Fordham University. I'm so excited to serve as the Co-Campus Correspondent alongside Grace Buczak.