This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Often, I try to stop and reflect on how thankful I am for everything I have, and the holiday season especially makes me do so. Something that always causes me to reflect on how thankful I am is when I think about my friends and family. One person that I am particularly thankful for is my Mom (love you too Dad!), especially for her ways of dealing with certain challenges. My Mom unexpectedly lost her mother at twelve years old, but you would never know by the way she carries herself. She is light-hearted, happy, and joyful nearly everyday. She’s selfless and always takes care of my whole family. It’s hard for me to think about how my Mom lost her mother at such a young age, but it just makes me realize how thankful I am for her and all that she does.

Thanksgiving is a really time to focus on giving thanks for everything you have. For me, Thanksgiving makes me realize why I’m so thankful for not only my Mom, but also for all of the other amazing people I have in my life. The holiday season tends to make me reflect on and appreciate all of the good things in my life a bit more deeply. There’s always things to be thankful for, even things that may seem little. One of my favorite quotes is from Oprah Winfrey and goes as follows: “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”

It’s easy to focus on the things that we don’t have and to overlook all of the things that we do. I think it’s important to focus on what we want or what we strive to have, but I also believe it’s essential to realize the things that we’re already so lucky to have in our lives. Thanksgiving is truly a time to be thankful for all that is already ours and all that we will receive in the future. 

*Image Credit: Pinterest.

Hi! I'm majoring in Communications and Culture with a minor in Marketing at Fordham Rose Hill. I hope you enjoy my articles!