Three Outerwear Pieces to Add to Your Spring Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It’s time to do a little spring-cleaning, which really translates to shoving your oversized winter coat in the far corner of your closet. With the sun shining bright, flowers blooming and springtime taking over, it’s no surprise you’re ready to ditch your winter essentials. But, don’t be so quick to say goodbye to outerwear for good. Instead, invest in three staple springtime jackets so versatile, you’ll be glad that they’re in your closet! 

Option 1: The Bomber Jacket

From Olivia Palermo to Kendall Jenner, this effortless staple piece has been worn by a slew of celebrities. Your favorite celebs can be found sporting an oversized army green bomber with sleek black workout leggings, and canvas sneakers for a casual laid back look. If you feel daring, spice up your daytime look with an embellished satin bomber, like this unique Topshop piece [$160] sported at London Fashion Week. A unique printed bomber jacket thrown over an all black ensemble paired with ankle booties will give you an instant cool girl edge. 

Option 2: The Denim Jacket 

Every spring, most women tuck into the back of their closets and dust off an oversized, classic denim jacket. While this staple piece is perfect for layering over dresses, rompers and practically any clothing item you can think of, it lacks any serious flare. This spring, turn this outerwear essential into an eye catching accessory. Patchwork embroidered denim jackets like this Urban Outfitters piece [$109] will add a cool-girl vibe to any casual ensemble. If you’re a major fan of DIY projects, feel free to attach pins or studs to your embroidered piece for a quirky, unique touch.

Option 3: The Raincoat 

While April calls for some serious sun, it also delivers some major rainfall. A fashionable raincoat may seem impossible to find, but with a little searching you can discover the perfect coat. A hooded trench coat is the perfect example of a fashionable piece that will keep you warm and protected on those rainy spring days. Opt for a hooded trench in a bright color that will stand out when paired with an all black ensemble. JCrew [$159.99] offers a vibrant, fire red raincoat that also comes in a camel option if you can’t dare to be bold. 

Noelle Khan is currently a sophomore at Fordham University where she is majoring in Digital Technology and Emerging Media with a minor in Journalism. Originally from Long Island, Noelle is a lover of the beach, LI bagels, and the bustling city that's always been a short train ride away. In her free time, Noelle enjoys exploring all the endless museums, coffee shops and brunch spots her favorite city has to offer. While Noelle isn't exploring NYC, she enjoys writing about beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Noelle is excited to share her passion for writing with the Her Campus community!