These Items Should Be On Everyone’s Fordham Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

There’s no doubt that college will be the best years of your life. Although college is about preparing you for the future and a job after graduation, it’s more about experiencing new things. This includes meeting your life-long best friends, joining different clubs, discovering your passions, and making memories that will last a lifetime. For in the end, you’ll only regret the chances you didn’t take.

As a junior at Fordham, I can’t believe I’m already halfway done. There are many things I’ve accomplished these past two years, but there’s still a lot more I’d like to do before graduation. Here are just some of the things that should be on every Fordham student’s bucket list:

Join a club that truly interests you.

Especially as a freshman, being involved in different clubs and organizations is a great way to discover your passions and meeting new people. If you’re a writer like me, there are several school publications you can write for such as The Ram, MODE Magazine, Ampersand, The Fordham Political Review and the paper. Joining club sports is a great way to stay active and become part of a team. If you’re into performing arts, there are several A-Cappella groups and dance teams you can try out for that perform shows throughout the year. It is important to find one that best fits your interests so that you can be an active participant. 

Go to the Homecoming football game & dance all night at Prez Ball.

Get decked out in Fordham’s colors and come support the football team during their big game on Homecoming Weekend. There’s always an enthusiastic crowd and undeniable spirit in the stands that adds to the adrenaline of the game. That same weekend, there’s the annual President’s Ball. Freshman or not, at least show up for a little and make the most of it with your friends. Pretty soon you won’t be able to attend any more school dances so now’s your last chance to dress up and dance the night away. There’s also free food; pigs-in-a-blanket, mozzarella sticks and desserts galore.

Get a picture on the Ram.

Particularly on a memorable night, so that you can smile and look back at the picture in remembrance :)

Participate in community service.

There are several ways you can give back to the community on and off campus. Students can be involved in service clubs such as Colleges Against Cancer, Special Olympics, Global Outreach, Project Sunshine, Fashion for Philanthropy, and many more. Global Outreach (GO!) is a service program where Fordham students learn about various issues of poverty and injustice. Teams of students are sent out to work with partnering organizations in approximately thirty locations throughout the United States and countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe. This is a great way to participate in community service, especially if you like to travel. Project Sunshine is another philanthropic club that provides free educational, recreational, and social programs to children facing medical challenges. They are also involved in the community off campus and visit nearby children’s hospitals. One of Fordham’s best charitable events is Relay for Life, which benefits the American Cancer Society. It is a day full of fundraising, food, music and games – all for a good cause.

Discover all the hot spots on Arthur Ave. (AKA “Little Italy”)

Fordham happens to be located in the best borough of the Bronx – the Belmont section, otherwise known as Arthur Avenue. It’s the best place for bread, pasta, fresh mozzarella, meats, pastries, espresso machines, and more. The American Planning Association recently honored Arthur Avenue as one of five greatest streets in America for its unique cultural authenticity and remarkable food. A thriving center for all things Italian-American, Arthur Avenue will not disappoint. And lets be honest…who doesn’t like Italian food?

*Be sure to check out the Ferragosto Festival that happens every fall, a day in which Italian culture, tradition, music, and of course the greatest food is celebrated on Arthur Avenue. It’s an event you don’t want to miss.

Make friends with Suits – Mugzs Bouncer

If you don’t know who Suits is, then you probably don’t go to Fordham…or you just don’t go out enough! An Arthur Avenue celebrity, Suits is the manager and head bouncer at Mugz bar, a popular Fordham nightlife spot. Known for his free hugs and friendly nature, it’s easy to make friends with him. Plus you’ll be sure to get into the bar for free!

Attend an open mic night at Rodrigue’s Coffee House.

Rodrigue’s Coffee House is the student-run coffee shop on Fordham’s campus selling a variety of drinks including ethically sourced coffee, tea, espresso, lattes, and more. It provides a relaxing, hipster atmosphere during the day, but also serves as a special event space at night. Rodrigue’s hosts monthly open mic nights, concerts both inside and outside the building, as well as art days. You would be surprised at how much talent there is in the Fordham community. It’s the perfect hangout spot to go to with friends, listen to music and enjoy tasty beverages.

Go to Midnight Breakfast.

During final exams, Fordham offers a midnight breakfast for students. If you’re stressing over finals, this is the perfect way to de-stress and enjoy a delicious and energizing feast with friends. The president of Fordham University Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J. as well as other faculty members will be present at the event serving students breakfast.

Enjoy Spring Weekend with your friends.

Basically known as “Fordham’s Coachella,” Spring Weekend takes place over an entire weekend in April and features various musical acts including a concert and DJ performance. The Under the Tent dance is always scheduled for Saturday night, and the theme is announced prior so students can dress accordingly. Famous speakers and comedians come to speak the week leading up to this weekend full of excitement.

Visit the Botanical Gardens or Bronx Zoo.

If you’re a devoted runner like me or enjoy being one with nature, then the NY Botanical Garden is the perfect place for you. Located right next to Fordham’s campus, the Botanical Garden is a hidden gem and serves as an oasis in the Bronx. Fordham students are able to get free ground admission by showing their student ID upon arrival. Explore and take walks along the forest trails with friends, so you’ll have each other if you end up getting lost!    

The Bronx Zoo also happens to be right outside campus gates and students are able to get a free pass on Wednesdays. Surrounded by woods, animals and wildlife, you’ll completely forget you’re in the Bronx. It’s important to take advantage of all the student perks while you still can!

Take advantage of going into NYC.

At Fordham, you’re only a train/ram ride away from one of the greatest cities in the world. There are so many things to do and places to explore; the possibilities are endless. Whether it’s treating yourself to a special dinner with friends, visiting a museum, going to a festival or parade, shopping in Soho, or going for a bike ride in Central Park, there are so many fun activities to do and sights to see. Fordham students should also take advantage of having internships, especially since we are in such close proximity. This is a unique opportunity for Fordham students to gain hands on experience in the real world and to discover their passions. Before you know it, you’ll become a city slicker.

And finally…

GRADUATEgo forth and set the world on fire!

Katherine Falzon (aka Kat) is a senior at Fordham University. Her major is Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in Journalism. A Jersey girl at heart, she spends her summers down the shore and enjoys playing the guitar, running, and writing for pleasure. Katherine hopes to someday make her passion of writing a full-time career. Curious to find out more about Katherine? Follow her on Instagram @kat_falzon