This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Do you want to be a bad b**** who works hard and plays hard? That’s exactly the kind of people that make up Fordham Women’s Rugby team. This team shatters the idea that women are meant to be meek and quiet and instead gives the power back to you, a strong woman. 

A lot of people have the misconception that in order to play rugby you need to be big and tall, but that is not the case. One of our own captains is barely five feet tall, but she still dominates the pitch each and every time she steps on. 

The Women’s Rugby team at Fordham isn’t just a club sport, it’s a family. We have players from all over the country, as well as internationally. Everyone has a place on this team and everyone is immediately family once they join. 

This is an intense sport and that is one of the reasons why it is so amazing. The physical energy that you put into it translates into a decrease in stress and anxiety, and allows your worries about the semester to melt away. College is stressful and everyone needs a way to relieve some of that stress. 

During my time playing rugby, I have made lifelong friends. We have seen each other at our lowest after a hard game, as well as at our highest after one of the rookies scores their first try (that’s like a touchdown if you didn’t already know). We don’t only spend time together on the pitch at games or practices, we are known to go to karaoke, apple picking, thrift shopping, pasta dinners, and a ton of other social gatherings. 

Anyone is welcome to join and we value diversity. If you’re interested in joining this group of badass women or you just want to know more, email mfournaris@fordham.edu

Sociology and Philosophy Double Major at Fordham Rose Hill Interested in: Art, Music, Makeup and Current Events