This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As Spring is beginning, and you take a look around your apartment, you may notice there is not only a very noticeable dust bunny in the corner but there is also a lot of clutter that has engulfed your apartment. Although this may be very stress-inducing, you will have your apartment back to normal just in time for summer with these spring cleaning do’s and don’ts. 

Where to start: Sometimes, instead of cleaning, you can just get swept up into staring into what seems like a black abyss of a complete and utter mess. If you don’t know where to begin to start your clean-up, let me let you in on a little secret, no one does! This is why it is essential that you focus on one room at a time and don’t try and do everything in one sitting. For the next month, make a list of what needs to get done, when you are able to do it, and then just work on one task at a time until your spring cleaning is complete.

Should I keep it?: An essential part of spring cleaning is ridding your life of the unnecessary clutter, which, in turn, will actually make room for different types of clutter in the upcoming year. This continuous cycle is essential in keeping your house from looking like it should be on an episode of “Hoarders”. However, it may be difficult to decipher between what items you should keep, donate, or throw away. 

Here are a few tips for deciding what will stay in your closet and what will be thrown out with last night’s dinner. The first tip is don’t throw anything away irrationally. The last thing you want is to be turned off of spring cleaning because you threw away your favorite sweater while you were in a cleaning frenzy. The next tip I can give you is if you haven’t thought about it, worn it, or used it in the last year, the chances are very slim that you will need it, and if you should keep it somewhere that rarely gets visited, such as the back of your closet or attic. 

What should I clean during spring cleaning?: Although there are basic things that everyone cleans during spring cleaning, such as a bedroom and a fridge, the opportunities for cleaning are endless and do not have to be limited to physical rooms. Another way that you can spring clean is by using your energy to eat healthier and exercise more and stay off social media. This not only makes you feel better, but it also rids toxins out of your body, which is perfect. 

Although spring cleaning can seem overwhelming and stressful, as long as you do it in small increments and focus on what type of cleaning will improve your wellbeing, that is all that matters. No spring cleaning will look alike, which is okay because spring cleaning aims to get ready for a new season with endless possibilities.

My name is Isabel Celio and I am currently a junior at Fordham University studying to be a journalism major.