Is “Scrush” The Answer To All Of Your #SingleProbs Prayers?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

So Tinder was interesting for a while, and believe it or not some people did find relationship success using the app, but for the most part I think we can all agree that it has become more of a joke than something legit…amiright? Well, move over Tinder, because a new app called Scrush is ready to match up young lovers and this time, they say it’s for real. 

Swipe left, no thanks. Swipe right, hey, hey, hey. Scrush (secret crush) offers you pretty much the same format that Tinder does, so what’s different about this app that might actually increase your chances of walking around all day Saturday with your dignity still intact? Rather than giving you a pool of people in your area (#locals), this app is college specific. Instead of sweeping through questionable profiles, like the guy who collects cover charges at Michael Angelo’s, you’ll be skimming through your classmates here at Fordham, the ones who you actually want to meet up with on a Friday night. Granted, it’s not that hard to bump into your secret crush in Howl or Mugz, but why not let Scrush help you initiate some pregame flirtation so you don’t approach each other at the bar with nothing to say. 

Still skeptical? I was too, so I decided to try it out for you. Scrush prompts you to log in with Facebook, but promises that they’ll never post to your account. Fair enough. Next you select your gender, the gender(s) you’re interested in, and your desired age group. I went with 19-22. After that, Scrush pulls up your “schools.” For whatever reason, Scrush only grabbed my high school of my Facebook and not Fordham. No offense, but I haven’t had a high school related “scrush” since I was sixteen. Oh well! While I wouldn’t go right to calling myself tech savvy, I can usually figure out apps and websites fairly easily; however, I can’t manage to add Fordham to my schools on Scrush. This was one issue I had with the app. 

Scrush allows you to give everyone a heads up of where you’re going that night by pulling up all the places in your area. For example, you can select Howl at the Moon Bar & Grill on Friday night to let your secret crush know where he, or she, will find you at 12:15 a.m. The app even lists Ziggys…R.I.P. 

What I like about Scrush is that it pulls up your Facebook events and allows you to browse other guests that are attending. A lot of Fordham parties start out as Facebook events, so this has the potential of working in your favor. Still, without many other Fordham students using the app, its service can’t function. Right now, I keep receiving this message: “There are no Scrush users who fit your interests and are in this network. Would you like to tell your friends about Scrush?”

Moral of the story, if you want this to be something you can use, you have to get on the app. Get your friends on the app. Spread the word…otherwise, your “scrush” will remain someone you submit a Fordham Crush about, and not someone you’re going home with. 

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.