This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As spring break approaches & you hop on a plane to a warmer, sunnier part of the world, it is important to keep your skin in mind. We all want that glowwhen we go away, but maintaining the health of your skin is crucial. Here are some tips on how to protect your skin from the sun (& how to ease a sunburn if you disregard the first few tricks):

• Sunscreen: You should always be wearing sunscreen when spending long periods of time outdoors, even if it’s overcast. A way around wearing greasy face sunscreen all day long: I like to wear a light foundation from Neutrogena– it has SPF 20 to 30 built in! *Note: Tanning oil is NOT the best way to get a quick tan, it basically fries your skin! Yuck!
  • Hats: On really hot, sunny days, a baseball cap or a cute floppy straw hat is the best way to keep the sun out of your eyes – & off your face!
  • Hydrate: Staying hydrated while out in the sun is key. Water is not only essential to your overall physical well-being in this situation, but it also keeps your skin moist & dewy!
  • After-Sun Lotion: Any time you are exposed to the sun, you should follow up with some moisturizing after-sun lotion. My favorite is from Hawaiian Tropic, it leaves your skin super soft & refreshed & even has a fresh lime coolada scent! *Note: The best time to use this type of product is after a post-beach shower or before bed.
  • Aloe: Aloe vera is your sunburn’s best friend. Whether directly from the plant, or store-bought gel, aloe soothes & cools your skin, providing pain relief & easing swelling & redness.
  • Oatmeal Baths & Tea Bags: Although it may sound strange, some of the best sunburn remedies come from popular breakfast options – oatmeal & tea! Are you starting to blister & peel? Too uncomfortable to sleep? Try soaking & cooling bags of black tea & laying them on your skin for 10-15 minutes. You could also try grinding up a cup of oats into a powder-like consistency & mixing it into a warm bath!

Happy sunbathing!

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.