Renaissance Man Gino Papa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If you were to use three words to describe Gino Papa they would be goofy, loveable and involved.  Gino can be found everywhere and anywhere at Fordham, and his Campus Celeb profile gave Her Campus Fordham an inside look into his crazy life.  Gino’s answers to collegiette contributor Steph were unorthodox at times, but that’s just who Gino is.

Where are you from? East Rockaway, New York

What year are you? Senior

What is your major? Accounting with a minor in Economics

What activities are you involved in? Senior Week Committee, Autism Speaks at Fordham University, New Student Orientation, RHA, Intramurals

How did you decide to come to Fordham? Fordham was actually not my first choice; I wanted to go farther away from home.  After I visited though, I fell in love on my first tour and I thought it was going to be a great fit, particularly with the business school. 

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Rule #1- don’t lose sight of academics.  Getting involved is super important, but sometimes if you let all that stuff run your life, you lose sight of why you actually are here. You have to realize that you will be doing homework.

What’s your favorite thing about New York? Long Island. It’s the best of both worlds, being near the city, but also being a suburb and having a beach makes it the best.  Not that I’m biased or anything.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? I rode “The Beast” which is the speed boat that goes around Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  I went with my parents, and we were going out to dinner afterwards so we were pretty dressed up, but because we were sitting in the back of this speedboat, we got soaked.  And we didn’t care! After, we walked around Chelsea Pier and completely ditched our reservations.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? I would like to row one of those boats in the Central Park Lake.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? Everything! But if I had to pick, Under the Tent my sophomore year. It was the culmination of making friends the last two years and solidifying relationships I built those two years.  Sophomore year was busy for all of us, we were together for honestly the first time all year, so that made it even more special.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Operations Management with Professor Dorothy Klotz.  As much as I learned, it was fun.  It was interactive, and she got people involved. I knew a lot of people in the class, and we sat in the front, so Professor Klotz would always pick on us, but in a friendly way.  It was a win, win, win.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Music history, because I learned so much, that the information was overwhelming.  I had to study for days and would still come out of a test feeling mediocre.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? Keating Steps, because there’s a lot of emotion and ceremonies held there.  There’s so much meaning, and it’s the hallmark of Fordham.  It all starts with the steps, especially coming from NSO and the candle-lighting.  Being a senior, that ceremony made more of an impact this year than it ever did.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Make the most of it.  Involvement helps in every way possible, and take advantage of the area.  College is the time you’re supposed to say they were the best 4 years of your life, and you’ve picked the best place to do it. 

What’s your dream job? Astronaut…

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? I’ve grown to treasure the core and being well rounded.  You learn so many things that you know enough to make connections with others outside your major.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Paul Lynch.  I’ve had him 3 times for different accounting courses.  I’ve heard the same jokes 3 semesters running, and they are still hilarious.  He’s half the reason I’m still an accounting major.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? I share a birthday with Jerry Seinfeld, Uma Thurman, Stefan Marbury, and Bernie Madoff (April 29th).  And it has fallen on Spring Weekend all 4 years running.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Zoo. I love penguins.

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Arthur Ave, the food.

Cafeteria or Grille? Jazz Man’s. I miss it.

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? The Gap

RamVan or Subway? RamVan

Met or MoMA? Museum of Natural History

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? MSG. Go Knicks!

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park. Great penguin exhibit 

A senior in FCRH, Stephanie is a double major in Political Science and American Studies. She is from Eastchester NY, which is about 20 minutes away from Fordham. She is involved in the Fordham Dance Team, is a Secretary of the Residence Hall Association board, New Student Orientation, and various other clubs.