Red Carpet Review: Best-Dressed at the 2019 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

This year’s Oscars were captivating in so many ways – from Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s performance to Olivia Colman’s insanely hilarious acceptance speech, the 2019 Oscars left us with a lot to talk about. As far as the red carpet goes, celeb attendees decided to once again stun viewers with bold and elegant gowns, taking a huge step forward in the realm of fashion. Here’s who I think especially stole the spotlight this year:

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga, of course! She looked absolutely stunning in her black strapless Alexander McQueen gown, paired with a gorgeous Tiffany and Co. diamond necklace that is impossible to miss. Lady Gaga decided to go classic this year, totally unlike her usual award-show attire (do we remember what she wore at the 2010 Grammy’s?!). Her fresh-faced makeup, elbow-length black leather gloves, and elegant updo also really made Gaga a sight that is hard to forget. Major Audrey Hepburn vibes!

Brie Larson

Brie Larson left a lasting impression with her custom Céline silver gown at this year’s Oscars. From the halter neckline to the gorgeous slit, Brie literally shone on the red carpet and on stage. She definitely embodied her true character as Captain Marvel, looking as badass and confident as ever. The soft waves and natural makeup look were also a 10/10.

Michelle Yeoh

The “Crazy Rich Asians” star looked incredibly gorgeous in her dazzling Elie Saab gown. In the off-the-shoulder style dress, Michelle embodied the definition of regal. Her confidence and grace was highlighted in this gown, and it’s safe to say this look was an absolutely perfect addition to the glamour of the Oscars.

Emma Stone

Emma Stone decided to go all out in her beautiful glittery Louis Vuitton gown. If anyone else had worn this dress I probably would not be as obsessed with it – the color and style complimented Emma so well. She looked absolutely stunning with this unique and bold choice. Fun fact: this dress took 712 hours to make!

Regina King

Regina King kept it classy in her beautiful Oscar de la Renta gown. Showing off her long legs and fabulous white heels, this look definitely made an impression on the red carpet. The gorgeous silver jewelry complimented the dress wonderfully as well. She looked angelic and powerful all at once, making a statement by keeping it simple.

Gemma Chan

Gemma Chan’s dress is the complete opposite of what I have listed above so far. This incredibly fabulous custom Atelier Versace dress worked for her. By making this extremely bold choice to wear a bright pink pleated gown, Gemma stood out – in the best way possible! Gemma also shared that she hid cookies in the pockets of her dress – talk about a power move!

Billy Porter

Last but certainly not least, Billy Porter. Billy Porter stunned everyone when he decided to show up to the Oscars in an unforgettable velvet Christian Siriano gown. The choice of the tuxedo gown was so incredibly powerful and it’s safe to say his look stole the show. Just look at him – the literal definition of fabulous. Bold is an understatement.  

Each of these actresses (and actors) made a lasting impression on the red carpet. Their gown choices were everything, and they definitely showed off their incredible fashion sense. Bravo, actors! Can’t wait to see what they wear next year!

Hi! My name is Nicole Bregante, I am a Senior at Fordham University studying Mathematics & Psychology on the track of becoming a Math teacher. I am President of Expressions Dance Alliance, a student-run dance company on campus. Find me on Instagram, @nicolebregante!
Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.